Battery cable routing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Battery cable routing

Post by KevinC »

Anyone have some pictures and/or explanation of battery cable routing up near the firewall?  Should they come up on the rudder pedal side and then go through the firewall, or come up on the engine side?

thanks

Kevin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Kevin,
I routed the battery cable up the center on the left side of the middle stringer.  The cable came up right behind the pilots right rudder pedal and was routed on the angled tube on the aft side of the firewall.  I went up a short way and then put it through the firewall using a rubber grommet.

I only ran a positive cable to the relay.  I grounded the battery to the fuselage on one of the rear baggage tabs.  Saved the weight of about 12 feet of negative cable.  Here is a picture that shows the cable routing forward of the rudder pedals.

23.5 hours down.  16.5 to go.  Now that it flies hands off(finally got the rigging set up right), I am tweaking with the propeller.  I ran it at 11.5 degrees (warp drive 3 blade, standard tip).  I am now trying 12.5 degrees.  I only get about 5200 rpm on the take off run and about 5600 on climb out.  Full throttle level flight I can get about 5750 rpm.  I will try this for a while and see.  The cruise changed to 95 mph indicated, up from 90 mph indicated.

I did a landing in a 17 mph head wind.  Wow, could set it down in a tennis court with that kind of a headwind.  Once the mains touch the ground 50 feet is all it takes to stop.  The take off in the same wind had me at 1000 agl by the time I hit the other end of a 4000 foot runway.

Dave
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Dave,

That climb performance sounds great, what engine and reduction drive are you using?

Thanks
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I have the Rotax 912uls.  2.43:1 reduction.  Performance with the setup is great.

I would like to see pictures of your suzuki setup.  Have you mounted it yet?  how much does it weigh and what horsepower are you expecting?

Dave

Return to “Just Aircraft”