Progress in Prosser - #103

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Right out of the box, one of my three blades had a small dent in it. The blade with the Warpdrive logo on it was perfect. I sent in PIX but they haven't decided what they're going to do.

I figure if one new blade looks perfect, they all 3 should but of course the main concern is blowing out a few hundred $ defective blade to the ruination of the engine, mount, who knows what, and maybe more if airborne.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Kevin,
My wife called me and my 912 was also delivered today, unfortunately, I'm in North Dakota and all I can do is make motor noises.  :cry:

Steve
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

You guys seem to be keeping the Ubermotorwerks and the truck lines in business all by yourselves.  Do you think any other kits have as many guys buying motors at the same time?

Keep the nose to the grindstone, I want some Highlanders and escapades to fly with.

Dave
KevinC
Veteran Member

Prop, etc.

Post by KevinC »

I have ordered the tapered Warp Drive with nickel ldg edges.  Engine and prop direct from source, everything else from Walhalla.
k
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

I am glad I am not the only one throwing down my life savings. I ordered fire wall forward about a month ago from the factory, hope it comes soon. I think the prop is on back order. 912s with tuned exhaust.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Warp Drive

Post by scubarider »

Hey Kevin,  I ordered the Warp Drive too...I have heard they are really slammed due to all the new Light Sport planes wanting the props.  I was told mine would take at least 8 weeks for delivery.  *ouch*  
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
KevinC
Veteran Member

flingin'paint in Prosser

Post by KevinC »

I've finally started shooting paint.  Yikes!  What a chore!  How did Dave U put it - "a good 20 footer"?  Actually, so far I'm pretty happy with the Stewart System paint.  Nice to clean up with water for sure.

Kevin

KevinC
Veteran Member

Disaster strikes

Post by KevinC »

Got some kind of contamination on the top side of the elevators - major fish-eye problem.  Guess I'll get the opportunity to practice my covering skills again... :(   I hate going backwards.

k

scubarider
Veteran Member

paint

Post by scubarider »

Kevin, was this on the paint or primer?  Can you see through it?  Sand it?  I would HATE to recover...  
Dennis
KevinC
Veteran Member

complete disaster

Post by KevinC »

The spots are in the finish color - there are no blemishes on the primer.  There are 5 large areas of spots - about 7 inches in diameter.  In addition, one horizontal looks as though the paint ran away from the tapes - leaving grey zig-zags along the pinked edges.  Also, unlike the underside that I painted Friday, the tops have a dull matted finish.  It is a complete disaster.

This morning I tried sanding.  In my estimation I can spend 2-4 weeks sanding or 2-4 weeks re-covering.  I'd rather do just about anything than sand.  Either way, it $ucks.  

I really hate painting.  I understand polished aluminum aircraft much better now.

k
Gary H
Veteran Member

Paint

Post by Gary H »

Kevin,
Check for water, are you using a fliter at the gun? How many water traps do you have. I had the same problem,,,, WATER!!
GW
Will fly for food!!
KevinC
Veteran Member

Paint woes

Post by KevinC »

I spent the day going to the paint supplier in Cashmere to see what was causing the problem.  First, Dan Stewart didn't think it would be a re-cover (whew!) and that I should be able to sand it out and shoot it again.  Good news.

Second - I thought I would post for those [like me] who haven't been there:  he thinks it was from handling a new air hose and then transfering some type of silicone lube to the surface to be painted.  They have had other problems with the slimy coating that comes on new air hoses and silicone is the worst - especially with waterborne paint.

Sooooo.  Tomorrow I try again.

Happy new year, all.  And for all of you still building - lets get 'em airborne in '08....

Kevin
scubarider
Veteran Member

glad

Post by scubarider »

Glad you don't have to recover but sand sand sand till your hearts content... :roll:
My plan is to get the plane done in the month of January sometime.  I brought my kit home on January 21st of last year.  So, really want to get it done by then this year.  One year build, not too bad for someone who doesn't have a clue....  :wink:
billy5823
Veteran Member

paint

Post by billy5823 »

they make a non silicone hose just for painting. which is a must. also a incodesence system. and make sure you are not using a kerosene heater before or during paint . my 2 cents thanks guys for all your help

bily
KevinC
Veteran Member

Well, that wasn't it...

Post by KevinC »

This should be titled "complete disaster in Prosser"

Yesterday I painted the undersides of my flaps and ailerons - thinking that I'd solved all the problems with fish-eyes and paint running away from the tapes.  I have 3 air/oil filters on my line and a new "no silicone" air hose; I swabbed the parts with laquer thinner and washed them with a degreaser provided by the paint manufacturer; my contaminants are down about as low as I can get them in a home shop with filters and ; I have checked the viscosity by cup and re-affirmed by weight.

I was wrong.

Unbelievable.

k

Return to “Just Aircraft”