Door Pistons

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Door Pistons

Post by stede52 »

Just a couple pictures of my door piston installation.  Works great.  I understand the new kits including mine no longer come with door pistion.  I bought mine from Aircraft Spruce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

door piston installation

Post by KevinC »

Your pictures are very helpful - thanks.  Just wondering - is there a specific reason you used two cushioned and one non-cushioned clamp on the base?

thanks

Kevin
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I thought the two 1/4" cushioned clamps would hold everything in place, however, I didn't account for the strengh of the pision. Since I allowed for space around the mounting plate itself the pressure of the piston move the mounting plate down and twisted it. Once I put the non cushioned clamp in that location it stopped the down and twisting movement of the plate.  I suppose you could have used all non cushioned clamps but I started out with the cushioned ones.  When I take it all apart  I'll see if three non cushion clamp will work.  However, I think I'll still need the three clamps unless I go to a much heavier mounting plate.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

We heated & bent ours out of one piece per fitting of .080 Al, with rivet holes because they're lighter.
The lower ones are a double D sandwich on the larger airframe tube.
When these break, I'll probably redo them you're way which looks much easier.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I've used the rivet method on my Challenger II doors and they are always loosing up especially in a door area where it's being used so much.  I'm also going to fill the voided were the piston bracket is attached on the door frame with grey epoxy to further reinforce the frame so it will hold up under use and the heavy pressure of that pistion.  The weight penality is hardly negligible and well worth not having to do it all over again.
John Howard

Post by John Howard »

I am new to this Forum with a new Highlander kit. Do you recall part #  of piston used? Thanks, John
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

here you go, the aircraft spruce page: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... spring.php

Return to “Just Aircraft”