TSIO-520-NB MP problems

For technical discussion of ALL Continental aircraft engines.
mooney

TSIO-520-NB MP problems

Post by mooney »

I recently had my Turbo, wastegate actuator and wastegate actuator controller rebuilt. I decided to do the work myself since my hanger is attached to my house so that makes it easy. I maintain my Mooney Rocket myself with occasional assistance from an A and P but rarely do engine work. I learned a lot and it was a lot of work, but it is back together and running. The engine is specified to have 38 inches of MP but since all the turbo items are newly rebuilt, it needs adjusting. There is a center allen screw in the wastegate actuator that I figured sets the pressure and I have turned it in and out 3-4 turns and it does make some difference but it seems inconsistant. Right now I have 41 inches at full throttle so have not flown it yet. I don't think overboost is a good thing. Is that center screw the way to adjust it? I haven't yet found the right setting. Where do I start? I hope there are no adjustments on the actuator controller as it is inaccesible without removing iintercoolers and other stuff.
mooney

Re: TSIO-520-NB MP problems

Post by mooney »

There must be someone who knows how to reduce the M.P on a turboed engine. I am flying the plane now by just reducing the throttle so as not to overboost but this needs a more positive solution.
jeffreydominic

Re: TSIO-520-NB MP problems

Post by jeffreydominic »

Recently had my Turbo, waste gate actuator controller rebuilt. So decided to do the work myself since my hanger is attached to my house so that makes it easy. I maintain my Mooney Rocket myself with occasional assistance from an A and P but rarely do engine work. I learned a lot and it was a lot of work, but it is back together and running.

Return to “Continental Engine Technical Discussions”