For the technical discussion of aircraft airframe construction to include tips, techniques, questions, and recommendations.


Postby bedebuilder » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:09 am

Do you need a certain type of rivit gun for the use of metal aircraft building. Im trying to figure out what you need to get the rivits flush with the skin of the airplane.
Thanks a lot,
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:54 am
Location: Chicago

Postby Sean_Caranna » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:45 am

Usually you need to dimple the metal. Lookup Avery dimple die sets.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
User avatar
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:34 am
Location: Daytona Beach, FL

Postby jvarnell » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:46 pm

You should use a rivet gun.  They look like air hammers but there is a defrance.  I have a x2 and a x4 I use in my other metal shaping.  x2 hits softer than the x4.  Kent White of http://www.tinmantech.com/ has helped me understand alot about metal air craft.

New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:21 pm

Return to Airframe Construction