Elite Headroom

For general discussion of the Murphy family of aircraft.
Includes: Rebel, Renegade, Maverick, Elite, and Moose
Crashnburn5590

Elite Headroom

Post by Crashnburn5590 »

Hi,

I'm considering building a Murphy Elite. I'm a tall guy, with broad shoulders. As best I can figure, the 44" wide cockpit will work, but I need at least 40" of headroom. The Murphy web site says nothing that I can find about headroom. Does anyone know how much headroom is available in an Elite without doing a major redesign?

Thanks,

Rick
Crashnburn5590

Re: Elite Headroom

Post by Crashnburn5590 »

As a followup, I'd also like to know the legroom.

Thanls,

Rick
Flex

Re: Elite Headroom

Post by Flex »

Rick,

I know your post was made a few months back, so hopefully you've recived an answer. If not I'll try to help.

As far as leg room, this shouldn't be an issue. The seats are adjustable fore/aft. The adjustability in the seat tracks should be adequate for most. If you've got extremely long legs you may be able to compensate for that a bit when you install the seat tracks... one of the nice things about building in the experimental category is being able to make a few modifications along the way to make the aircraft fit you.

As for headroom, I'm not as sure about that. Your best bet would be to talk to somebody who's already at that stage in the build (or flying) and see if they can measure for you, or sit in their plane (better yet!). If you do a google search for Murphy Elite you should find a handful of good builder web pages with lots of good pictures. Sorry I can't remember the links off the top of my head, but many of those pages will have an email link for you to contact the builder.

I've got a complete Elite kit that I'm thinking about selling to a good home(life changes). The tail is completed and I'm currently wokring on the flaps and ailerons. Minimal work was done on the wings by the previous builder, and the fuselage is untouched. If you'd like to see pictures or have any questions, please feel free to send me a message or email (koryklismith@hotmail.com). I'm in Tucson, AZ if that's anywhere near you.

I've also got the sales literature from Murphy Aircraft in electronic format if you'd like me to send it your way. That may answer some of your questions, too.
~Kory

Return to “Murphy Aircraft”