(11) Lift Struts ( Mike )

planecrazzzy
Site Admin

(11) Lift Struts ( Mike )

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                Well.... another "Mod".... After it was suggested on the

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttercup-STOL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought about it.... and it sounded like a good Idea... There were quite a few "steps" to the process

So I thought I'd give it it's own Thread....

So... First step.... Take the Plane outside and put the Wings into the exact position it needs to be....

This was also the first time I've been able to see the alienment of the two wings at the same time...

I mounted one at a time in the garage....  They came out perfect.... I got lucky !

Once things are set up perfect.... I measure the length of each Lift Strut.... Actually... They all could be different....

My Front Struts were the same length.... and the Rear Struts were the same...

The differance between the two "sets" was 1/8".... I forget which set was longer...

NOTE*****  The Prints say to make the Lift Struts 3/16" Longer.... BUT... This was for welding with a torch/Flame

I welded mine with TIG.... I tried to give it plenty of heat.... But I didn't shrink much.....

( I ended up with 1-1/2" Dihedral.... You'll see later )

Here's a Few Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Next step

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               OK, I have the Length.... and the angles that the Lift Strut connections are on...

There not straight like the prints show ... Front spar has a 2 degree angle , rear Spar , 4 degree....

But don't take my word.... Do your "fit-up" to make sure....

Since my Lift Struts are Full length ( instead of the 6" stubs )

I'll be doing some extra work to put Lift Strut Mounts on the Fuselage Frame...

Here's some pictures of the Lift Struts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Next Step

Post by planecrazzzy »

OK,  Next... I need to put on the Tubes that Hold the Lift struts at the Fuselage... I used   1/2" X .058 Chromemoly Tubing

Each little tube is 13/16 long..... Between the tubes it's 1-9/16" gap..... ( Lift Struts are 1-1/2" wide )

Strapping these tubes , AFTER the tubes are welded... is with 13/16" X .062 Chromemoly
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Next Step

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               Next I need to put the straps on , and seal weld everything... A lot of detail welding.

I made the straps a pinch wide... Things can be cleaned up after it's Fit-up and tacked...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Next Step

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                Here's a picture of the Lift Struts after they've been Welded and cleaned up....

Notice I didn't put the rear adjuster in the lift strut.... It's not required...

I figured it would only add "wash"... and I don't want that...

Gotta Fly...

PS  These didn't shrink as much as I wanted.... I ended up with 1-1/2" dihedral
But that's about the limit I'd except... Otherwise I'd heat up the lift struts and shrink them more.
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Final

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               Things are all welded and cleaned up... Time to put the wings back on and see how it turned out.

Well, I already let the cat outa the bag.... I've got 1-1/2" of dihedral....it looks less than it sounds...

Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Mike's Buttercup project”