Montana Coyote Mountain Eagle

Montana Eagle
MtCoyote

Re: Montana Coyote Mountain Eagle

Post by MtCoyote »

May name is Jim and I fly a Montana Coyote that I built. I made a google search awhile back and up came this forum. David I use to talk to you years ago along with some guy in Wyoming. I don't remember his name. Anyway I started flying my Coyote about 5 years ago. It has been a good plane. Prior to flying it all I heard was bad stories and they seem to persist today. I am no expert but I fly out of a short rough pasture with little problems. I have stock tail feathers and landing gear. Wings are stock with flaps and aileron. I have not changed the rigging since its first flight. I have 180 pony lycoming, catto prop, and 29" bush wheels and the big matco tail wheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Hi Jim,
Great to see you post. It's been a while and glad to hear you're flying. The guy in Wyoming is named Don and he's test flying his Coyote. I think we're killing some of the bad PR this kit had and proving the info isn't correct. A number of kits have changed hands lately and more are closer to being finished and flying.
Can you post some more pictures of your finished airplane? Would you be available or willing to answer questions other builders may have?
Thank you,
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Winter has finally released it's frozen grip on us! Time to get back to work. This weekend I'll be removing the wings from my Eagle to make some room in my shop and to finish the aileron install a little closer to work level. I changed the flap and aileron brackets from what I designed and made last Fall. I wasn't overly impressed with them after clamping everything in place so I combined two different mounting systems to make a sturdy and relatively maintenance free bracket. I'll post some pictures once I get started and mount the new brackets temporarily in place.
David
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Reviewed your whole thread again David, looks like a great airframe and you're getting much closer to liftoff. The internal construction of wings looks particularly robust.
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Hi Dave,
It's a pretty stout airframe and the D&E Ribblett wing is a great improvement over the original. I prefer the standard wing construction over the round tube spars with wood ribs glued on. I've cleaned up quite a bit of drag items and weigh the airplane as I install major components. It's my goal to have the lightest Eagle built. Time will tell.
Thanks,
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Not much work going on right now on my Mountain Eagle project. I've been planning and getting some more small parts to get ready to get back on it over the winter. Goals are to finish the ailerons and flaps as well as get them installed with the control stick in place. I'll also be working on the firewall forward.
Thanks,
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

I managed to spend a little time on my project and built the left aileron. I still need to install attach fittings but thought I would wait until I have the flaps built and do them all at once. I've also clamped the lower cowling in place and did a little preliminary fitting. Kind of fun to be back to building.
David
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Sorry for no posts in quite a while. Other airplane projects have kept me from working on the Eagle. I'm started back on the flap and aileron building and will get those mounted soon. Pictures to follow.
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Back to building on my Eagle project. Flaps and ailerons are complete. Working on getting them mounted and then hook up all of the flight controls. Slow but sure forward progress.
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

It's been quite a while since my last post but much has happened. The big news is that I sold my Mountain Eagle and its new home is in Texas. I did finish quite a bit on the airplane for the new owner. The wings were completed as well as all the flight controls as well as flight control rigging. It turned out really nice and will make a great airplane for the new owner. I did take pictures of the work I finished and will work to post them here. Thanks,
David

Return to “Montana Coyote”