Fuel Measurement System Issues

For the technical discussion of aircraft design to include engineering practices, design techniques, questions, and recommendations.

Dave_A

Fuel Measurement System Issues

Post by Dave_A »

I picked up a partially completed project for parts to finish my T-40...

Part of the 'parts' is a set of wings with leading edge fuel tanks...

Here's the 'issue'...

The guy who built them was an 'ad-libber' and did not follow the plans, (or in some cases, common sense) at all...

One thing he left out?

FUEL SENDERS... Of *any* kind... Can't see any in the wings, and there is no wiring for one coming out (just wires for his landing light and wingtip-light setup, and some goofy-ass antenna wire that looks like it was designed to screw into a CB...

This is a LOW WING bird.. The tanks are FIBERGLASS 20gal wet-wing, and there is NO getting to them without ripping up 2 otherwise very good wings...

-----------------------------------

So, here's what I'm wondering...

Can I, on a mechanical-fuel-pump-equipped low-wing bird, use a 'head-pressure/manometer-style' fuel gauge system?

For reference, this would either (a) use a mechanical/electronic sensor to sense the pressure the fuel is exerting on the fuel line, or (b) in a more 'traditional/antique' sense, allow fuel up into the cockpit via a 'sight-glass' (and as fuel levels dropped in the tank, exerting less pressure, the visible fuel in the 'glass' would fall)

Any comments?
shorty

Re: Fuel Measurement System Issues

Post by shorty »

Yes you can use a manometer type fuel gauge. And it will be accurate to FAA standards for fuel gauges.
But it would probably be difficult to see at a glance.
I very seldom look at the fuel gauges in the Cherokee, as they only indicate 1/2 even when full to the top.(that's what I have a clock for)
I've seen them in AA-1s, and Ercoupes.
Thanx
 Shorty
http://st3gamefarm.com
Robert Dingus

Post by Robert Dingus »

you could go this route, and use a slow meter / accumulator from each tank.

go to http://www.futurlec.com/Flow_Sensor.shtml

and look at Diesel and Gasoline Flow Meter with Flow Sensor at the bottom of the page.
reasonable in cost, and lets you see consumption and accumulated usage.
always start with full tanks and you should be ok, but its worth a look, I am waiting on mine to show up for my UL build, to get accurate fuel rates cataloged.
dennis123

Post by dennis123 »

do you think that you can get your desired answer here? i don't think so, i recommend you to discuss this issue with some professionals

Return to “Aircraft Design”