wing extensions

For the technical discussion of aircraft design to include engineering practices, design techniques, questions, and recommendations.

mr157ifhz
Forum Regular

wing extensions

Post by mr157ifhz »

I will be installing full-lotus floats on my plane this winter. I have been thinking about building wing tip extensions; primarily to compensate for the float weight, but also to shorten takeoff and landing. It is my understanding that properly mounted floats will produce enough lift to compensate for their own weight. However, at lower takeoff and landing speeds, probably not. I was thinking on the order of 1 1/2 ft per side. I do realize this will not increase my usefull load, and may in fact reduce it. Thoughts here? My wing is 2-spar, with c-channels for the main and rear. Also, have heard of some STOL kits that are a leading edge cuff. Looks pretty simple. Basically some shaped foam ribs are siliconed to the leading edge of the wing, to provide a new nose shape. Then aluminum sheet is wrapped around the nose and rivited to the wing.
-Matt
mr157ifhz
Forum Regular

Post by mr157ifhz »

Just an update here. I made some new wing tips. They are 12" longer than the old rounded tips. I guess some would call these booster tips, as they are upswept from the lower surface, and come to a much sharper point. I flew for around 2 1/2 hrs, lotsa takeoffs and landings. A definite improvement. The landings took some getting used to.If pulled into the flare that would plant the tailwheel at the same speed as before, the plane just wants to keep floating. Touchdown was at a slower speed. Takeoffs were fun. I was off the ground quicker and climbed faster. Not a huge difference, but noticable. I could fly, and make gentle turns at 30mph and 3000rpm without loosing altitude (VG's are also on the wings, mainly to help aileron response). Well worth it!
-Matt

Return to “Aircraft Design”