Starting the Painting Process

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Starting the Painting Process

Post by scubarider »

Here is a couple pics of priming then sanding....NEXT PAINT!
Then on to the fuselage, then the wings....then put it all together for the final two trim colors.
;o)
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
scubarider
Veteran Member

painted

Post by scubarider »

Here is a picture of my painted tail feathers.  I did the flaps and ailerons also.  I will paint the wings and fueslage soon.  Then mount everything and do the finishing touches with red and orange.
:P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider
Veteran Member

the wings

Post by scubarider »

Just finished taping off one of the wings.  MAN  :shock:  the wing takes forever to get ready to paint.  
One little secret Troy told me.  He said to run a really thin layer of glue all over the cloth before priming.  Helps seal the fabric and really saves on primer hitting the "inside" of everything.
Will keep everyone updated on the color as it gets done  :)
Dennis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

They look great! Similar to my Ag Cat yellow. Did you stitch the fabric to the internal cross tubes of the tail feathers or is the fabric one sheet on each surface? I'm thinking about the possible effects of flaping in the slip stream.
scubarider
Veteran Member

fabric

Post by scubarider »

I just used one sheet of fabric per side.  And, of course did the rivet stitching for the ailerons, flaps and wings.  Made sure the tape had a good overlap everywhere with plenty of glue.  I don't believe you will get any flap with as tight as I got the fabric.  I love that yellow...will add the red to all the leading edges then blend back to orange.
:D
Dennis
scubarider
Veteran Member

Still painting

Post by scubarider »

Still painting, here are some pics of my friend painting for me.  He told me that if anyone wanted him to paint for them that he "paints for $#@%" hahahaha  actually he will never paint again....LONG smelly work....  :lol:
Here are the pics!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Lookin' goood.
We're putting the last coat of Ag Cat Yellow on the tail feathers in 15 minutes.
BTW: Did you guys use a few coats of white before the yellow?
scubarider
Veteran Member

nope

Post by scubarider »

Actually we just used four coats of primer which almost seemed to turn to white paint.  Very smooth.  Love the Superflite system.  The "wet look" is great.

Return to “Just Aircraft”