flap & aileron hinge plates and fabric

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

flap & aileron hinge plates and fabric

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Just to be sure:
1. Are the flap hinge plates a little shorter and drop down farther than those for the ailerons?
2. The fabric over the top of the edge of the leading edge material seems like it is likely to tear, be cut, or wear quickly from the edge of the leading edge material, even if covered with protective tape. What's everybody doing to prep it for fabric?

Thanks in advance.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

You are correct, the flap hinge plates are lower and shorter than the aileron plates.

The fabric on the leading edge of ailerons and flaps is glued to the entire leading edge.  I did not use an anti-chafe tape on the edge, I put a finish tape on the junction of the leading edge and the fabric.  I do not know if this is right, but this is what I did based on my reading of the fabric covering books.

Dave
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

DaveU wrote:You are correct, the flap hinge plates are lower and shorter than the aileron plates.

The fabric on the leading edge of ailerons and flaps is glued to the entire leading edge.  I did not use an anti-chafe tape on the edge, I put a finish tape on the junction of the leading edge and the fabric.  I do not know if this is right, but this is what I did based on my reading of the fabric covering books.

Dave
Sounds good Dave, TKS.

I'm also sanding the top part of the leading edge's edge angle down quite hard to ease the transition from the curved material to the fabric. I've heard of guys using medical tape for situations like this, such as on top of the false ribs, to cushion the covering material.
scubarider
Veteran Member

yep

Post by scubarider »

yep, that was me who suggested the medical tape.  It works great, soft yet strong and protective.  My wing leading edge does look more like an unltralight due to the false ribs sticking up.  But, I did start out as an ultralight pilot  :lol:
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!

Return to “Just Aircraft”