Finishing the Painting Process

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Finishing the Painting Process

Post by scubarider »

Hey everyone, just wanted to send a couple pictures your way to show what my "Tequila Sunrise" looks like all painted up.  Her first time outside in the sun also.
I am the one alone and then the couple is my friend Steve who pulled the trigger on the paint gun and his wife who helped with taping etc....
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Wes
Premium Member

Whoooh! Need My Sunglasses

Post by Wes »

Dennis,
COOL paint job! I wish I was that far along.
Also wish I had the cajonnes to wear that paint!
My wife would kill me if I came home looking like that.

Anyway, nice job, and now its engine time.
I finally bit the bullet and wrote the check for the FF package form Just.

Hope to get up to see your bird sometime.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Most excellent paint job!
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks guys

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Wes and Dave.  Still seems like I have a thousand things more to do.  Not sure if I will have it done by Christmas.  I just learned that the Warp Drive Prop I ordered will take 8 weeks.  YIKES.  But, have lots of things to keep me busy until I need the prop.  
The paint is pretty cool if I do say so myself  :lol:   Never seen anything like it before.  It does look like a Tequila Sunrise  :twisted:
Dennis
KevinC
Veteran Member

Looks great!

Post by KevinC »

Dennis,

Your paint looks great.  Wish I had that much 'art' in my head!  Mine will be pretty straight and boring compared to that.

You are close.

k
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
I have been studying the pictures of your airplane.  I think the paint job looks great.  I am a bit puzzled though.  As near as I can tell, there seems to be a tire at the FRONT of the airplane.  There must be something blocking my view of the little tire at the back.  I assume that the tire in the front is just so you can roll the airplane around and see what level flight attitude looks like.

Conventional gear on an Escapade, with some sporty little wheel pants would be the in look.

Just a little jab for you.  The plane will be fine with the tire out front, as long as people don't mistake it for an RV or a Zenith.  The nice exhaust would work if the little wheel was in the back.  Hmmm.

Dave
John S

Post by John S »

Outstanding, gorgeous paint job, and a really cool design.  I painted my escapade fuselage in Champ yellow over snow white.  I was not able to prevent 'nits' and orange peel, even though I did the work in a paint booth that I built on my backyard patio.  The booth had an exhaust fan and furnace filters on the air intakes.  Any suggestions.  I'll be doing the wings in May or so.

Thanks.
John Smoyer
scubarider
Veteran Member

thanks

Post by scubarider »

Kevin, Dave and John,
  Thanks for the cudos.  Was not really easy to do the paint the way I wanted it.  Lots of coats and I am sure will add to the overall weight.  But, hey will look good on the ground!~~~  Very hard not to get the orange peel look.  We experimented with really light coats, heavy coats, and different distances.  The best we came up with is a light coat about 8-10 inches and has to be on a horizontal surface.  Anything vertical and runs were a problem.   Also do your prep work!! sanding etc.  
  Hey Dave, I know what you mean about that funny thing on the front of the plane.  I really just added it for looks, so I had something to paint right out front  :P   My plan is to get some wheel pants down the road.  Will do some experimenting with it and let you know.
D

Return to “Just Aircraft”