Radiator Heater Option

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Radiator Heater Option

Post by stede52 »

Just FYI for those of you wanting to build or buy a radiator heater unit, attached are drawings of the heater which RANs sells for $375 and a PDF of the unit which is being built by pilots for Kit Foxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Had to attach the PDF to a separate post, so here it is

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider
Veteran Member

simple

Post by scubarider »

I just bought an external heater that is meant to go under the dash of boats, trucks etc.  Will wire it directly to the battery and make up a mount behind the instrument panel.  Will have it's own fuse.  Will be fully controllable by temp.  Probably will not use it much but in the dead of winter here...yep gets alittle burrrrrrrrrry
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I'd like to take a look at it, could you send us info on where we could see the unit and get it's specs?

Steve
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Coolant heater

Post by b1x4nqb »

Sport Aviation from Red Wing, MN has a liquid heater unit for $350 that weights < 4lbs and draws 12v, 3.5amps.  612-419-4621.  Saw their add in barnstormers under cabin heat.  I know Sam Peachey has been flying his bird in central PA with this unit.  Supposedly cranks out the heat.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Heater from MN

Post by KevinC »

I saw the ad for this heater on Barnstormers as well.  Doesn't it seem like 3.5 amp draw is a lot?  Why wouldn't one just use the radiator part and run ram air through it (from a traditional heat control box/scat tubing) when you want heat?

Kevin - way up north
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I am with Kevin.  Why not  use warm air from the oilcooler or radiator and then send that into the cabin?  Less is more.  One less draw on the electrical.  I do not know how warm the coolant runs on a 20 degree morning.  maybe there is not enough heat there.

Van's RV sells a cabin heat shuttle box, in a kit form for about $35.  That is the least expensive unit I have found.

Dave

Return to “Just Aircraft”