glue

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
billy5823
Veteran Member

glue

Post by billy5823 »

how much glue did yall end up using. I am almost through with fuse, and tail feathers and have already used well over half a gallon. it doent look like i will have enough to finish the wings . am i using to much? thanks billy
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I ended up using about 6 quarts of the superflite glue.  I don't know what system you are using.  With superflite, the glue is what you put the tapes on with also.

Dave
KevinC
Veteran Member

glue use

Post by KevinC »

If you're asking about glue for the fabric, I'll probably end up using 4 qt.  If you're talking Hysol - a whole lot less...

k
billy5823
Veteran Member

glue

Post by billy5823 »

yes it is superflite for fabric.forgot to mention that part. thanks for the info.  billy
scubarider
Veteran Member

superflite

Post by scubarider »

I used superflite also.  I had to buy more glue.  It is something you DO NOT want to short change yourself.  Plus a single coat over the enitre plane is recommended before primer.  I still have more than half a gallon left over after buying an additional gallon.  Did not want to run out.
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,

Where did you see the part about a coat of glue over the entire plane before paint.  I did not see that, and did not do that.

Dave
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

troy told me to do that to keep the primer from blowing through. so as not to waste it .
scubarider
Veteran Member

Troy

Post by scubarider »

Troy told me to do it also.  It does several things.  One, it allows you to use less primer and it actually covers better.  Also it keeps the fine particles of primer from getting to the insides of the aircraft.  It is an easier "flow" with the primer also.  
D
Roger
Veteran Member

Glue

Post by Roger »

I've used about 6 quarts so far and I still have 2 ailerons and 1 flap plus all tail feathers to do. I suppose it'd help if I didn't knock my glass (yes glass) jar over and break the second one and lose some glue. duh!! I swore I wouldn't do that when I started, but, oh well. Didn't actually lose very much, probably no more then a 1/4 of a cup on the two. Think I'll switch to the tin can thing. Well at least I won't ever need to seal my concrete floor of my garage.
Last edited by Roger on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scubarider
Veteran Member

ace cup

Post by scubarider »

I just used the plastic Ace cup.  Just bought them and tossed when done.  Use them for everything including MEK.  Used a regular plastic red cup the first time with MEK... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Needless to say,,,,,,had a red bench.  :shock:
D
KevinC
Veteran Member

extra glue

Post by KevinC »

I have a gallon of Superflite glue that came with my kit.  I won't be using as I am doing Stewart System.  Free - Anyone want it?

k
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Glue

Post by b1x4nqb »

Kevin,

I'd be more than happy to take it as I planned on ordering some anyway.  Let me know the cost of shipping and I'll send off the $ if it is still available.

Thanks,
Paul
stede52
Premium Member

Superflite

Post by stede52 »

Just an FYI, I talked to the Superflite Guru about the painting process and he unoffically confirmed that bushing a water thin coat(in one direction and  NOT A CROSS COAT) of glue over all the fabric just before you prime works good and the primer and paint will adhere just fine.  He's actually used the technique on planes in the past.
Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”