whiskey compass mount location

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

whiskey compass mount location

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I'm wondering where people are finding good locations for their magnetic compass mounts?
I'm definately going to install one as a backup for the Enigma unit.
Roger
Veteran Member

Whiskey compass

Post by Roger »

Dave:
I probably did things a little different then most people will do, but I bought a vertical display mag compass and am going to mount it in the panel just like a DG. I figure that way I don't have to have a DG and I know that it won't be quite as quick as a DG but with my level of experience, I'm not to worried about that. I only have a elec. T&B, so I don't think the elec. field will interfer with it. Just a thought.
Roger
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Whiskey compass

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Roger wrote:Dave:
I probably did things a little different then most people will do, but I bought a vertical display mag compass and am going to mount it in the panel just like a DG. I figure that way I don't have to have a DG and I know that it won't be quite as quick as a DG but with my level of experience, I'm not to worried about that. I only have a elec. T&B, so I don't think the elec. field will interfer with it. Just a thought.
Roger
Yeah, those dry vertical magnetics are great, I have one in the center of the panel, right above a mechanical bank and slip/skid indicator to back up all the solid state stuff in the Enigma.

I just like a whiskey compass in any plane, so to start, will probably put a pedestal mounted one right on the center top of the panel if it will work there.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Strange thoughts - not yet plans

Post by KevinC »

I have been thinking of putting a support through the middle of the windshield a la vintage Cessna 172.  The reason is not so much that I had an old skyhawk and loved it but that the supplied windshield material bows in during flight.  I've been thinking about trying to fab a mount for a compass on this center support as well.  FWIW.  Comments, please?  I'm still a ways off.

K

Return to “Just Aircraft”