Highlander lift strut brackets positioning

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Highlander lift strut brackets positioning

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi again,
I have big doubt... I don´t know if I am missing something.  in the building manual that arrived with my Highlander kit (says Escapade building manual)  I am trying to place the lift brackets in the wings spars.  The manual mentions to measure 80" from the root end of both spars ,  I placed the wings on the plane already and have the brackets attached with clamps to the spars but I see that the 80" is too short of a distance, I have a negative dihedral.  I don´t have any attachment in the manual that indicates the difference in the distance between the Highlander and Escapade.  Could anyone give me these measurements?  I think I will have problems too with the distance for the I Beams, since the Highlanders´ wing is larger than the Escapade´s.  Please, help me with these information...
Thanks
Uwe/.
pdeinin

Post by pdeinin »

Uwe,
   If you are building a Highlander, the distance is not 80 inches.  That is the Escapade distance.  It is 98 inches for the Highlander.  If you got the quickbuild wing, they have already drilled one hole in the spar and is marked on the bracket so you can orient it with a cleco through the marked hole in the bracket and the hole in the spar.
Prescott
Roger
Veteran Member

Lift strut brackets

Post by Roger »

UWE:
The measurements that Pdeinin gave you are correct. I thought of one thing that might throw you though. The measurement for the "I" beam inside are correct in the Escapade book. They go in as the drawing describes on an angle from vertical at 24" from the outboard end of the spar's. I sanded mine very lightely and filed the ends slightly so they wouldn't hang up. I also used a STP oil additave to wipe the outside of the "I" beams so they'd slide in easier. Worked great. Another thing that "Bob" back at Just told me, was to cut a "V" out of the web at both ends of the 'I" beam web about 2" in from the end. This eases the load inside the spar as the wings flex, and dosen't let the end of the "I" beam cut into the inside of the tube. That's another reason to ease the sharp edge of the end of the "I" beam with the file. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the web in the center of the web 2 inches in from the end and then "V'd" the cut into it. I used about a 2x2 piece of wood marked at 24 inches to help drive the "I" beam in to position. I hope this helps. If you wish to e-mail me direct, my address is R-Stout@Hotmail.com
Roger
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Lift strut brackets

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Roger wrote:UWE:
The measurements that Pdeinin gave you are correct. I thought of one thing that might throw you though. The measurement for the "I" beam inside are correct in the Escapade book. They go in as the drawing describes on an angle from vertical at 24" from the outboard end of the spar's. I sanded mine very lightely and filed the ends slightly so they wouldn't hang up. I also used a STP oil additave to wipe the outside of the "I" beams so they'd slide in easier. Worked great. Another thing that "Bob" back at Just told me, was to cut a "V" out of the web at both ends of the 'I" beam web about 2" in from the end. This eases the load inside the spar as the wings flex, and dosen't let the end of the "I" beam cut into the inside of the tube. That's another reason to ease the sharp edge of the end of the "I" beam with the file. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the web in the center of the web 2 inches in from the end and then "V'd" the cut into it. I used about a 2x2 piece of wood marked at 24 inches to help drive the "I" beam in to position. I hope this helps. If you wish to e-mail me direct, my address is R-Stout@Hotmail.com
Roger
Uwe:

In addition to Roger's proceedures, we also iced the I beams down to temporarily shrink them and gently warmed the spars to temporarily expand them, and then they slid in easily.
Roger
Veteran Member

Lift strut brackets

Post by Roger »

Uwe:
I have to correct something in my last post. Sorry. The measurement on the front spar for insertion of the "I" beam is 24 inches, but the rear spar insertion is 32 inches. Hope that clears it up.
Roger
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Thank you very very much guys,
I thought I made a mistake or something was wrong with me.  Could you tell me where did you find that information?  because, in my manual I can´t find anything.  I bought the quickbuild wings but they did not come predrilled any holes.  The ideas you gave me for the I beams installation I sure will use.  I am glad this forum exists, since I am really alone in this country.  
Thanks again,
Uwe/. :D
Roger
Veteran Member

Lift strut

Post by Roger »

Uwe:
I had to call Troy at the Just factory, as it didn't seem right to me either.

Return to “Just Aircraft”