Throttle and Choke Cable with other FRUSTRATIONS!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Throttle and Choke Cable with other FRUSTRATIONS!

Post by scubarider »

OK, I know that I like causing problems but here is another one for you.  I want to mount the throttle cable on the left instead of the middle.  Old ultralight habit.  Didn't think it would be that much of a problem.  Wrong  :cry:    The dual cable they sent me is TOO short to reach on one side and too long on the other.  I talked to Tim and he said he would try to talk to the guy who makes them to see what he can do.  No word yet.  So, my friend Steve said that he will make one up costing less and have a visible connection between the cables for inspection.  So, we may go that way.  It is crazy how much they charge for that thing.  Any other suggestions?  :?:
Now to the second problem.  What is up with the choke cable.  I got a cable that is a single with a barrel connector to connect cables like I did on the ultralight.  They did not supply the cables or the connectors.  Nothing.  Once again I am getting frustrated that they have not worked all this out selling these kits.  I may be anal but @#$%, spend some time on the builders manual, spend some time on the firewall forward list of parts, have an instruction manual, even if you have choices in engines.
I am sorry, just so frustrated trying to get the plane done before winter weather and my hands freeze again working on it.
Any advice would be much appreciated, any pictures on how to do the choke, etc.
:shock:   Going nutso with the plane, with my work {work with kids who have behavior/emotional problems}, haven't worked out in a year because of working on the plane so much, taxes, war, aaarrrgggg  :x  :x  :x
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

What I did with the choke was just threw it in the parts bin, safety wired the left carb's choke open (off) and hooked up the choke on the right carb only. It seems to work just fine. You have to have the throttle closed for the choke to work, so I get a false start with the choke, then leave it off and open the throttle just a tad and it fires up on the second try.

Good luck.

Alan

P.S. What a beautiful day it was today. Flew to Fayette Co. for BBQ. Three hours round trip. Life is good.
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider
Veteran Member

sorry

Post by scubarider »

Sorry for the meltdown earlier.  My friend Steve and I have come up with a throttle cable that will work beautifully.  We will fabricate it from two really nice cables that we ordered.  I will take pictures and let everyone take a look.  I really want to have the throttle on the left so it is worth it to me.  
I am returning the choke cable and going with another one using the splitter that I bought.
Also running into connections with the Westach gauges that I have installed.  Mainly the oil temp sender and the fuel pressure sender.  
Will get some pics up later.  Man it is getting cold here fast.  brrrrrr  :shock:
Thanks and hope everyone is doing well.
Dennis
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

Are you mounting dual Throttles, or just the one on your left side vs. the middle?  I wanted both but couldn't figure out how to make the split work for dual carbs.

Good luck,
Paul
scubarider
Veteran Member

It's in

Post by scubarider »

Just wanted to let you know....success!!!  :D
We developed our own dual throttle cable.  Took us about 2 1/2 hours but got it done and it is installed.  Much better too I believe.  It can be locked in place, can be moved in and out quickly, AND it has a twisting small adjust so it is perfect.  
Next, will work on the choke cable.  Will just use the splitter on that one though.  
Pictures to follow....
Dennis
p.s. Paul, I am mounting just the single throttle on the left side so that I can use the right for the stick.  Just an old ultralight flying days habit.   :)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

According to Cornell Aeroworks  Downwind Technology sells both pre-built throttle cable/splitter assy and choke cable/splitters for the 912 carbs and you cut them to length. I assume it would they would be long enough for a left side control.
You'll then need to buy the choke and throttle controls and connect them to the cable/splitter assemblies. I'm using the A700-BLACK button lock control for the choke and A790-RED button lock control for the throttle. Like Dennis's they have the full range control by pushing in the botton and fine control by turning the knobs.  I bought my from Wick Aircracft.

As I understand the cable/splitter assys come with splitter attachment backets and attachments to connect the cable assy to the hand controls.  I'll let you know how they work when I get them in a couple of weeks.

I also asked around about dual controls for the 912 and the issue is a splitter the will have two control lines in and 2 out and there is none made that anyone knows of.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I thought about dual throttles but went with a single, friction adjustable, Commander type sliding lever throttle quadrant that slides forwards and upwards for full throttle, center mounted and lower than the Highlander bracket but still clearing the flap handle in all angles. Computer controlled sensors and senders, so no mixture control and no carb heat for the fuel injectors on this one.

We're trying to rig it so if the throttle cable breaks, the engine goes to high power instead of idling the way it is now.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
what kind of splitter did you use to have two throttle controls going into one splitter and then out to two carbs?
scubarider
Veteran Member

throttle

Post by scubarider »

I only have one throttle control going to two carbs.  I wanted to mount it on the left so had to design one for myself since the one JA sends is way to short.  
Dennis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis
OK, for some reason I thought you figured out out the dual control mystery for the cabin  :) , thanks
Steve
stede52
Premium Member

throttle cable springs

Post by stede52 »

has anyone removed the throttle cable return springs from the 912 bing carb and setup the throttle cable to work without them? I've only heard of it being done but have never seen the application.

Steve
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Flown mine over 900 hrs without the return springs with no problems.  Never have to use the throttle lock, it just stays where I put it and is very easy to work when landing in hairy places etc. :lol:
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Taildrgfun,
There is no way my setup would be able to push the cable forward.  Could you discribe your setup and the type of vernier and cabling you used, or pictures?  Thanks

Steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I too took the springs off.  No need for them when you use the solid cable instead of the stranded cable.  It pushes the butterfly forward and pulls it back.  
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
I may need to change out a few things, I've got the flex cables.

Steve.

Return to “Just Aircraft”