Rotax 912S kickback on starting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
n570k

Rotax 912S kickback on starting

Post by n570k »

Anyone having kickback problems on their 912S on starting, either hot or cold weather??
Dale
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

What do you mean by kickback problems?

The engine does stop abruptly when you shut down or when you attempt to start and it does not "catch".  

I have found that on shut down, I run it up to about 2500 rpm, and pull the throttle off and shut of the ignition at the same time, it seems to shut down smoother.

I have had to trim the cowling so that the fuel pump does not rub when the engine kicks at start and shut down.

Dave
n570k

Post by n570k »

Dave,
When I say kickback I mean KICKBACK and if it happens there is NO DOUBT in your mind that this thing just kickedback. It's as if the timing is way advanced and when it fires the first time the prop stops dead and can in some cases throw the carbs off the rubber mounts, break the Rotax exhaust springs etc.
I now believe mine is due to the sprague gear and housing being bad and am planning to change it out to the tune of about $700      I like the Rotax but they are pricing themselves out of the market as far a parts go. Course you shouldn't need any parts unless you get unlucky. They can't blame it on liability issues, you couldn't sue Rotax with a hundred lawyers. They are so insulated, just read their manuals.

Return to “Just Aircraft”