Engine choices

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Engine choices

Post by rgmullins »

Rotax just raised their prices another 2000 so a 912 (just motor) is now north of 18,000.  I've been looking for alternatives in the 100HP plus range but trying to keep the firewall forward weight below 200 lbs. Some of the Subaru conversions are claiming under 200 lbs and around 115HP. The Jabiru is starting to look better but the last price I saw for it was around 16,000. I saw Dave's Suzuki motor post, but 220lbs is on the high side of what I would like. Anybody out there trying anything different?

Rick
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Has anyone got information on the "new" continental 0-200, light sport.  I heard that they have a newer lighter version of the 0-200.  I can not find specs or prices on it.  If that engine would work in the Highlander, that would be sweet.

Another consideration would be the Jabiru 2200.  I know, less power, but it is a nice package, and probably plenty of power for most applications in this weight aircraft.

There are various VW setups that could work.

I thought that $14K was too much for a 912uls.  I think the problem now is the exchange rate on the Euro.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

rumor

Post by scubarider »

Rumor has it that since the new LSA Cessna going with the 0-200 Continental instead of the rotax 912S the useful load dropped to almost nothing.  Like I said just a rumor and have not seen any specs yet but "I heard" that you could not fit two "average" american males in the Cessna anymore.  hmmmmm
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

No matter which engine we choose for a Highlander with any useful load left, if it doesn't have a good blower on it, we're left with only about 50 HP at typical mountain DAs. An adjustable prop is almost as valuable too.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Dave, do you have your Suzuki in the air yet? I was wondering how it handled that much weight on front.

I've been scouring the internet for a couple weeks now. I can see why the Rotax is so popular. Really hard to beat the weight, power, economy (of fuel) combination. I hadn't even considered the Continental O-200 until I stumbled across a web site where some guys were talking about building them up. Evidently without too much trouble, higher compression pistons, a little valve work, you can get 120-130HP out of those engines. There are advantages to water cooling cooling but those engines are so simple and they have been around forever. Still trying to see if it would be feasible to get a used one, overhaul it with some performance parts, and come in significantly under the Rotax price.

There is a company about 3 hours north of me that does a lot of Subaru conversions. He is claiming a 115HP motor with fuel injection and a wet weight of under 200. But the soobflyers yahoo group says the installed weight is closer to 240. I'm thinking of driving up there to look and talk to see if that motor would be a possibility.

stay tuned...
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

rgmullins wrote:Dave, do you have your Suzuki in the air yet? I was wondering how it handled that much weight on front.

I've been scouring the internet for a couple weeks now. I can see why the Rotax is so popular. Really hard to beat the weight, power, economy (of fuel) combination. I hadn't even considered the Continental O-200 until I stumbled across a web site where some guys were talking about building them up. Evidently without too much trouble, higher compression pistons, a little valve work, you can get 120-130HP out of those engines. There are advantages to water cooling cooling but those engines are so simple and they have been around forever. Still trying to see if it would be feasible to get a used one, overhaul it with some performance parts, and come in significantly under the Rotax price.

There is a company about 3 hours north of me that does a lot of Subaru conversions. He is claiming a 115HP motor with fuel injection and a wet weight of under 200. But the soobflyers yahoo group says the installed weight is closer to 240. I'm thinking of driving up there to look and talk to see if that motor would be a possibility.

stay tuned...
Yeah, the Suzuki's in the air, about five feet AGL in the hangar!
We should be truly airborne in Dec...

I decided to mount all 3 cooling units Mustang style under the fuselage to aide in CG and offset the higher weight. The oil, water, and intercooler are just ahead of the main gear legs when in the tricycle configuration. We used all seven bolt holes on the firewall/airframe for added strength of engine attachment.

As much as I love Subarus from driving behind them, I went with the slanted inline 4 because of superior airflow in cooling the turbo, and because Raven Redrives would put one together mated to the mount the fastest of anybody. The price was incidental but happened to be the lowest of any I looked at, at around $15K for everything including 3 bladed prop and spinner.

Return to “Just Aircraft”