radio

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
billy5823
Veteran Member

radio

Post by billy5823 »

hey guys i have a michell 170 radio and was wondering if a bendix IN-226 vor/ils marker will work with it .as you can tell i know nothing about avionics thanks billy
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

VOR/ILS marker?  I thought GPS had done away with that.  The Garmin 196 does all of that, and I can take it out when I dont need it.  I would go with a light simple radio, the Icom or similar.

Keep it simple and light.  What don't you need to fly the airplane.

Dave
billy5823
Veteran Member

gps

Post by billy5823 »

i have a gps but i am going to get my ifr rating, so i think i need this to do it. i dont see renting a ifr plane when i can make mine acceptable to get my rating ,after that i can throw it away .what you think thanks billy
Roger
Veteran Member

VOR receiver

Post by Roger »

Billy:
The FAR's say something along the lines of, you need a navigation device appropriate to the ground facilities to be used. (see FAR 91.205.(d)If I were you, I'd call the local FISDO and speak to a checkride inspector. The requirements may defferent for Sport Pilot airplanes. Or if you happen to know a designated examiner, ask him, before you go to any additional expense.
Roger
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

DaveU wrote:VOR/ILS marker?  I thought GPS had done away with that.  The Garmin 196 does all of that, and I can take it out when I dont need it.  I would go with a light simple radio, the Icom or similar.

Keep it simple and light.  What don't you need to fly the airplane.

Dave
All the GPSs are way cool until they go TU when you really need them. It's a great idea to have redundancy achieved through independent systems, especially in IMC.

For training for the IFR in VFR while NOT in the ATC system, one can use many VFR only aircraft but to file IFR to get into the system for training, both the ship and PIC or CFII must be IFR certified and current.

Return to “Just Aircraft”