Anybody else going crazy from building?

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
Joel@Seattle

Anybody else going crazy from building?

Post by Joel@Seattle »

Hey all,

Well I am 3 1/2 years into a project I didn't exactly understand when I started, but I know a lot more now!  I am done with wings, fuselage, flight controls, control surfaces. Working now on engine, plumbing, wiring, etc..  I kick myself for being two years behind on my ambitious target date but I'm still at it. Good thing is I built a shop at home so my commute isnt bad. Bad thing is it's so small I can almost reach every tool from everywhere in it.

I have found that I can't study for my IFR and work on my plane at the same time. If I start studying one thing I completely erase the other and have to start over. ANybody else got a small brain like me?  I haven't been flying much because of the money pit in the garage. I guess I'll make up for it with 40 hours of solo quiet time.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Pilot skills

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi,
    it's the same old problem.....can't put the money into flying cause yer puttin it inti an airplane....

My first build was a Kolb Firestar II , all I could afford to fly was my Buckeye Powered Parachute ( NO HELP )

but luckly I needed to get my Tailwheel endorsment....PA-12 & Aeronca ....so that shook off the rust....

Now my next plane is a W-10 Tailwind , but I have my Kolb Firestar to keep my Pilot Skills polished up....

As far as setting a date to be finished.....They say "don't do that"

Actually, after I was done building my plane....I "MISSED" the building process....

I had to wait til I sold my Powered Parachute before I could start my next plane ( I need the room )

Speaking of room , I started my last plane in a BASEMENT......moved on to a single car garage......and finally to a two car / Heated garage...( see my web site )

Now when I start my next plane ..... Half the year (winter)I have my wings folded , and it's in the garage....Back to a confined work area....

I don't blame you for not wanting to add too much info in the brain while thoughts are working on building projects and problems.....you need a break , to give the other stuff the attention it needs....

So, is anybody else crazy from building....?

I'm  Planecrazzzy ,  Glad to meet you .

Gotta Fly...
                                                                        Mike & "Jaz" in MN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
Joel@Seattle

Post by Joel@Seattle »

Thats too funnny, Ive got a westie that is ready to fly it's just my plane isn't. Part of my delay is my own fault I decided to build an IFR capable from the ground up instead of adding on later. The wiring schematics are wearing me down. I am very glad to see there is somebody out there who has done it and survived it. My wife is tired of hearing about it and doesn't entirely get how much goes into the thought process and planing. She is still pretty cool when she sees small progress and improvement but maybe wonders why it takes sooooo long. So do I sometimes.  Cold there Yet????
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

You have a BIG project

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Joel,
          When I first wrote to you , I didn't realize how BIG your project was....HOLY COW Comp Air 6.......That's a BIG BITE.

But like you said about the IFR stuff ..... I built mine ( smaller project ) enough to get it in the air , then improve some things

later....I'm working on a full encloser.....

There are some things that you just can't  take short cuts....or you just end up wasting money later to replace it...

So , you figured out what plane your gonna build next ?

My Tailwind should take me a little while , although some guys can build one in a year....( retired )

If you take yer Dog flying , you might want to check out -     http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

They have a size to fit any dog.....any size - same price - $52 bucks

It got cold up here for a little bit....but this week it's back in the 40's ( I'm from Calif - That's STILL Cold )

Gotta Fly...
                                                               Mike & "Jaz" in MN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
                Gotta Fly...
Skysailor

Kolb classic

Post by Skysailor »

Hello.! Loking to buy Kolb classic 2 seatter. Possible without engine. 416-7890626
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: Kolb classic

Post by planecrazzzy »

Check with the Matronics Forum   ( Kolb section )
http://forums.matronics.com/index.php?s ... 1eaf8deae8

They can help you out fer sure......

Gotta Fly...
                                                                    Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Skysailor wrote:Hello.! Loking to buy Kolb classic 2 seatter. Possible without engine. 416-7890626
                Gotta Fly...
Skysailor

Thank's

Post by Skysailor »

Thankyou.!

Return to “Introductions”