Warp Drive Prop Pitch on a Rotax 912S?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Warp Drive Prop Pitch on a Rotax 912S?

Post by scubarider »

Just was wondering anyone out there with the same set up as me?  What did you use for your pitch?  I have read anywhere from 11 degress to 13.  Any advice?
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I know both Alan & Dave use the Warp Drive and mention the 12.5 degrees pitch on it if I recal correctly.  Do a search of props on here and I think you'll find it mentioned when Dave was asking the same question last year.    

"I ran it at 11.5 degrees (warp drive 3 blade, standard tip).  I am now trying 12.5 degrees.  I only get about 5200 rpm on the take off run and about 5600 on climb out.  Full throttle level flight I can get about 5750 rpm.  I will try this for a while and see.  The cruise changed to 95 mph indicated, up from 90 mph indicated."

Paul, PA
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I think that 12 degrees is a good starting point.  I started there, went to 11.5 then 12.5, and now back to 12 and think that works well.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks guys,
  I will take your advice and start at 12 degrees....that is as soon as my bolts come in.  I am currently working on the cowling trying to get it as far forward as possible to miss the right exhaust.  I hate getting that fiberglass dust in my lungs!   :x
D
scubarider
Veteran Member

bolt problem

Post by scubarider »

Just wanted to give you an update on the Warp Drive.  It took over 8 weeks to get it in.  When I did.....no mounting bolts.  Was told I needed a spacer worth $250.00.  So got one of course.  Now no bolts to mount the damn thing.  The guy who ordered it for me {my ultralight instructor} did not order the bolts with the prop 2 months ago so now I am stuck with a prop with no way to mount it.  Takes specialty bolts I guess.  Anyone have to mount a spacer on their plane?  
Also, did not get any drivers that fit on the prop flange for the bolts when I got the motor.  Know what I am talking about????  How would I get these if I need them?  
Damn,  should have just went with my first choice, a Sensenich   :evil:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: bolt problem

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

scubarider wrote:Just wanted to give you an update on the Warp Drive.  It took over 8 weeks to get it in.  When I did.....no mounting bolts.  Was told I needed a spacer worth $250.00.  So got one of course.  Now no bolts to mount the damn thing.  The guy who ordered it for me {my ultralight instructor} did not order the bolts with the prop 2 months ago so now I am stuck with a prop with no way to mount it.  Takes specialty bolts I guess.  Anyone have to mount a spacer on their plane?  
Also, did not get any drivers that fit on the prop flange for the bolts when I got the motor.  Know what I am talking about????  How would I get these if I need them?  
Damn,  should have just went with my first choice, a Sensenich   :evil:
I'd give 'em a call and I bet you'll have what you need in a few days.
After an intial 2 mo. wait, I sent a less than smooth blade back and got a matched replacement pronto.
They prioritize established customers it would seem.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Hey, this may be a dumb question but with my engine I got what looks like a prop spacer with it.  When I look at my Kiev prop, it looks like it will mount right on the engine hub without this spacer needed.  Did you guys get one and is it needed?
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

My Kiev prop and spinner mounts directly to the prop hub, no spacer required.

Steve
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

My warp drive mounts directly to the prop flange on the 912s.  There are a set of drive lugs that go in the holes on the prop flange into the hub.  I ordered the bolts, and drive lugs with the prop from the warp distributor.

Dave
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I got the spacer from Warp Drive because I wanted more space between the prop hub and the cowling. It worked out real well and looks very natural. Measure everything, including washers, and order drilled prop bolts from Leading Edge or Lockwood. I also had to buy the hub insert nuts from them at the same time.

Alan

P.S. I am now running with 12.5 degrees of pitch. This gives me 5200 RPM on climb out and 95 MPH at 5000 RPM cruise. 5200 RPM gives me 100 MPH for a somewhat higher fuel burn. Fuel burn varies somewhat with temperature. 5000 is 4.8 or so and 5200 is over 5.

AA
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider
Veteran Member

THANKS

Post by scubarider »

THANKS GUYS!!!  I feel better now from what you have said.  I do have the spacer and plan on using it.  The bolts have been ordered from fastenal.  But not sure if they are the right ones {this is what the guy who ordered them for me said}.  I may end up calling Warp myself and getting some advice.  I know I will have to order the insets, definetly not the right size to match the spacer.
Alan, do you remember what size bolts you got from Leading Edge or Lockwood?  What do I order for the hub  inserts?  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Dave, the guy who ordered for me said that Warp does not supply the bolts.  hmmmmm
I should have picked up the phone myself, I know better...  :oops:
Dennis
KevinC
Veteran Member

Prop bolts

Post by KevinC »

Dennis -

The guy that took my order from Warp asked me if I needed to order bolts - fwiw.  I think they are in the package - but to tell you the truth I can't remember.  Way too focused on covering and painting.

k
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Prop bolts

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

KevinC wrote:Dennis -

The guy that took my order from Warp asked me if I needed to order bolts - fwiw.  I think they are in the package - but to tell you the truth I can't remember.  Way too focused on covering and painting.

k
They included a dozen of the smaller, AN 4-23 bolts with washers & nylocs with my 3 blade Warpdrive system plus hubs and angling device.

I just went out to the hangar & checked. The smaller bolts above are for holding each Warpdrive blade in its angle, 4 per blade. The actual hub takes a half dozen nice big AN 6s of at least -26 length, NOT included with Warpdrive but ARE included with the IvoProp that I also have but are way too long at AN6-48 to switch out.

Gonna be calling a few people on Wednesday morning!
scubarider
Veteran Member

thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Dave for looking.  I got the dozen to mount the blades to the hub.  I just didnt' get the AN6's.  I think my guy ordered 8mm bolts.  I would prefer the AN variety.  I emailed Warp and Lockwood to get some advice.   Will let you know.
Thanks again....HAPPY NEW YEAR  :P
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Dennis,

I believe they are 8mm because the insert nuts are metric. You REALLY need to use those insert nuts. The hole in the prop flange is much larger than the hole in the prop hub and spacer. As for the length, you must measure everything and calculate the needed size as most every installation is going to be different. Make sure to ask for "drilled" head prop bolts so you can safety wire the bolt heads in pairs. Leading Edge drills the bolts to order.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”