Verticle fin rivet ??

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Verticle fin rivet ??

Post by b1x4nqb »

Hey, I just came in from putting layers and layers of glue on.  As I was crossing the rear verticle fin I was wondering about putting a rivet right where the verticle fin inserts into the base on the trailing inside edge.  I went back and didn't see anything in the book and just thought I would double check with you guys.  I covered the bottom last evening, will finish insulating and wrap the sides this afternoon after a long lunch break.  

On a different note, I am going to switch from Superflite to Polyfiber from here on out after the body and while doing the wings.  Definetely for the paint process after talking to some who have a lot of cracking with the superflite system.  Anybody else using the Polyfiber system?
Gary H
Veteran Member

vin

Post by Gary H »

I think the book says to drill and put a AN 3 bolt in there.  I used the poly fiber, It's OK, good shinney gloss on the paint. It seems that all kinds will crack after a period of time. Once you start with a system I would stick with it.
Will fly for food!!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I'm using bolts, just so the fin/rudder can come off quickly if I want to get it into a low trailer or garage/hangar.
Wes
Premium Member

Vertical Fin Attachment

Post by Wes »

Paul,
I also couldn't find anything in the build manual about attaching the rear fin tube to the fuselage, so I assumed a bolt was not needed. I agonized for a while and finally came up with a "roll" pin arrangement that doesn't show. See grainy photo. I think it was about an 1/8 diam pin (now fabric covered).

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Paul
When I was building the rudder, I realized that the vertical fin entered a little more than the normal position. I was afraid that once I cover the fuselage and tautening the fabric the vertical fin will enter into the fuselage, getting out of the normal positioning. ( Hinge coincidence) THis is the reason I decided to place two ribbets, one on each side,  just to adjust the piece on the place.  I also looked into the manual and did not find anything respecting on the subject.
Regards,
Uwe/.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Hey Gang!
 I guess Troy or Jamie told me to put in
two rivets. I did them at about a 45 degree
from the center line, so that they wouldn't
show after covering. Sort of in front of the
position where the roll pin is in Wes' pic.
I can post a photo, if you want to see
their position.

Good Luck!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed

Return to “Just Aircraft”