Warp Drive, Safety Wire and Bolts pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Warp Drive, Safety Wire and Bolts pics

Post by scubarider »

Quick question.  I got my bolts and inserts for the Warp in.  I mounted everything and it just seems weird.  The inserts do not fit all the way into the flange.  Is this correct?  I also added a stop nut behind them {just in case}.  I also had the bolts drilled so safety wired as per cessna standards.  Here are some pics.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
scubarider
Veteran Member

CPS

Post by scubarider »

Just read something interesting in the CPS catalog on the insets used for 8mm.  Says you may need to install with liquid nitrogen...........hmmmmmmmmmm
Very interesting   :roll:
Dennis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
I'm sure if you were done tighten those nylocs, but as a safety margin most DAR's want to see at least 1 1/2 - 2 threads showing on even nyloc nuts, however, they don't always catch it. Just FYI.

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Yours looks totally different than mine. Is it the lighter weight one?
Mine is the medium weight prop, hub & spinner.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Dennis
Please, definetely do not start your engine!  The nut inserts have to be inserted all the way into the propeller shaft face, like in the attached picture.  Did you look if the propeller hub has the hole in which the insertion must be made?  It would be good if you compare the measurements on the depth of this hole and the lenght of the insertion,  if all that is correct, it is possible that due to the cold weather you have up there right now, the parts are not fitting right, you could warm up the propeller shaft and then cool the inserts (liquid nitrogen if available).  
The safety wire is OK, but it is not recommended to place safety nuts in the bolt, because they make the bolts´  torch change, since you are pulling the bolt in another direction.
If I can help you in anything, please let me know.
Regards Uwe/.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x
I see what you mean.  That is exactly what I thougt they were suppose to look like but it does not work that way.  The diameter of the insets is too large to fit the spacer or the prop hub.  No way for it to go in to fit tight.  
I only put the lock nuts on just to put them on the ends.  
Now, I am NOT going to start the engine.   :x  :x  :x
It is what they sent me for the Warp Drive Prop....
Any suggestions????
:?:  :?:  :?:
n570k

Post by n570k »

Another thing you might check on or change. You have the thinner nylon lock nuts called shear nuts on the bolts. You need the thicker nylon nuts called tension nuts. The shear nuts will not take as much torque as the tension nuts.
Dale
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Dennis,
what you need is to take your spacer to a workshop so you enlarge the holes in the prop´s  spacer, this way the inserts will fit, another option is to ask Warp Drive if they have another spacer.  The only thing I can say is that it doesn´t work this way.  
Good luck,
:?  Uwe/.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Uwe,
  I went back over to the hanger and redid everything.  I heated the flange and put the insets in the freezer.  Had to hammer them in some but they went in.  Darn though  :?  the bolts are now too long.  Will have to order shorter bolts to fit.
Thanks again....that could have been bad  :roll:
It is late here....night night
Dennis
scubarider
Veteran Member

bolts

Post by scubarider »

Ordered new bolts this morning.  Will have to wait until next week to crank the engine.  :cry:
Oh well....
Got a few more things I can be working on.
D
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I see the engine prop flange and the warp prop but what is the SABRE II behind the spinner base?  Prop balancer?  Prop extension?  

Paul, PA
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I see in the picture with the beautifully safety wired bolt heads that there is no faceplate mounted on the front of the prop hub.

I checked the installation directions that came with my Warp Drive prop, and there is a notice, labeled "IMPORTANT:" all warp drive hub types need to have a faceplate mounted on the front of the hub.

On my prop, the mount for the spinner was on the front of the hub, and served as the faceplate.  You may need to use the plate that came with the engine on the outside of the hub.  This will affect the length of the prop bolts, and should be considered before you order the new bolts.

DAve[/u][/b]
scubarider
Veteran Member

prop

Post by scubarider »

Thanks again guys.  The sabre II is a prop extension.  Puts the prop further away from the cowling.  Works great.  Dave, I will check with Warp but was told by the guy who ordered all this for me with the extension no face plate was needed.  Maybe due to length not sure.  Will take a look at it again.  I also put the spinner on the back side of the prop hub instead of the front.  This way the spinner will cover the extension hub also.  
:)
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”