gluable fungicide for wingrib capstrips

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

gluable fungicide for wingrib capstrips

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Is there a fungicide to kill/prevent mold on wooden wingribs exposed to moisture on a regular basis (as in a seaplane) that will still allow good adhesion between the ribcaps and overlying fabric?
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: gluable fungicide for wingrib capstrips

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Is there a fungicide to kill/prevent mold on wooden wingribs exposed to moisture on a regular basis (as in a seaplane) that will still allow good adhesion between the ribcaps and overlying fabric?
I'm also interested in traditional fungicides for other parts of the woodribs that aren't glued to fabric. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerald V9

Mold Prevention

Post by Gerald V9 »

Dave,
    How wet are you talking?  I realiize the part of the country your in is wet, and that as an aircraft on floats it will also see service in wet environs, but the ribs are reasonably protected.  Would not a two part epoxy/varnish be adequate.  I sealed all my ribs with Polyfiber two part varnish, and with two coats the wood is substantially protected.  It should aslo tolerate the MEK based glues if given adequate drying time (7 days or so), should you decide to seal the tops of the capstrips as well. And in combination with mechanical fasteners or stiching, it should be bomber.

Good Luck,  Gerald V9  #125 on the home stretch

Return to “Just Aircraft”