Always something...

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Always something...

Post by scubarider »

We were out for snow and ice today...yippie...gave me time to work on the plane.  Got the prop bolts on and the Warp set at 12 degrees.  I did all the prep work for antifreeze and oil.  Could not get the darn oil filter off.  "Someone" decided NOT to put oil around the inside so stuck like a @#$%^.   Anyway had to destroy it to get it off.  Luckily I had ordered a couple.  So got everything done and needed to spin it to test for oil pressure.  None.  Rechecked the oil stick, redid the "out" side of the oil can and filled and turned the prop again...did not take anymore.  So, am now stuck with...gauge?  Already put the cowling boot on.  Gonna trace the wires to check for power tomorrow or this weekend.  Got too darn cold in that hangar.  Could not feel my fingers anymore.  The ole shoulders began to tense and here now I sit with a heating pad around my neck wondering....Will anything ever work the way it is suppose to???   :shock:
Anyway, will set a goal for this long weekend to get it fired up.  Will be exactly one year this Monday since getting the kit.
:wink:
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
Are you following the whole "venting the oil tank" procedure in the installation manual?  You did not mix up the oil pressure and temp probes did you?

Sorry you are having trouble.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Dave

Post by scubarider »

Hey Dave, yep, followed the whole procedure of filling the tank, running down the oil while turning the prop down the "out" side of the tank, half filling the filter, saw oil come out so installed the filter, ran several funnels full of oil till it was full, rechecked the tank and filled to fill line.  
Has to be the guage somehow.  Am using a Westach dual oil pressure/oil temp gauge.  Don't think I wired it wrong.  Did replace the sending unit that came with the engine with the Westach which just screwed in its place.  *sigh*   :?
Dennis
Wes
Premium Member

Oil Pressure

Post by Wes »

Dennis,
A quick check to see if the gauge is working - short the lead to the oil pressure transducer to ground and watch the gauge. It should indicate zero psi shorted and full scale with the lead open.
I'm not sure about the Westach gauges, but with the normal VDO transducer, about 100 ohms to ground should give you 1/2 scale or around 60 psi. (ref pg. 21-3 in Install Manual)
Hope this helps,
Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
scubarider
Veteran Member

thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Wes, I will give that a try this weekend.  *fingers crossed*
D

Return to “Just Aircraft”