Door/window latches

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Door/window latches

Post by KevinC »

I figured before I go postal I'd better try something other than painting, so I am working on the doors for a while.

Anyone have pictures of the stock door/window latches completed?

thanks

Kevin
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but here are a few photos of the stock latches finished.

If you have any specific questions fire away!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

last one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

latches

Post by KevinC »

How did you connect one part of the latch to the other?  Did you have to cut them to length?

thanks

Kevin
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

yes,
He did have to cut them to the correct length and ruined a few in the process. I was not here for that process but my dad did them and can elaborate more when I talk to him on the exact process. I know for a fact they were cut though
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

gme9261236 wrote:yes,
He did have to cut them to the correct length and ruined a few in the process. I was not here for that process but my dad did them and can elaborate more when I talk to him on the exact process. I know for a fact they were cut though
We finally got a complete, matching set of the same style, then ground down the edges a bit to round them off smooth
and finished them up with 4-5 coats of Rustoleum out of an aerosol can in a hammered gold-bronze to get away from so much white paint in the cockpit area. They may get cut or ground down even more where they join together.

It was/will be used for the throttle lever mount, door spring double D brackets, seat rail T pieces and some other small parts in the cockpit/cargo area. Sky blue for the instrument panel metal.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I found that after flying for an hour or two the door latch handle would vibrate open occasionally. That'll wake you up! After that happened once on both doors (now I knew it wasn't just the passenger not properly fastening the latch) I marked the vertical on the door frame, drilled a hole on each side, and installed a screw so that there was a "detent" for the latch to fit into. Presto! Cheap, light, low tech. The door will never vibrate open again.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”