Misc Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Misc Pics

Post by stede52 »

Just a couple of pics. I found some small gas springs which work great for the window, probably not a necessity but I thought they were cool. I'll post the details if anyone would like to do the same.
For those of you who are XL, like myself.  I found a double stuffed lower cushion is really nice and at 255lbs and 6'5" I can't bottom them out.  Because I can't sew I had an auto upholstery place replace the 2" black side band with a 4" and install another foam pad. VERRRRY NICE on the touche!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

very nice!

Post by KevinC »

The window struts turned out very nice, Steve.  Good job.

Also - great idea on the cushion.  I'm planning to have them recovered in crimson and grey - I'll have to ask them to add a little more foam for my fat rear!

k
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I've been wondering if JA used fire retardant material?
Probably will order aircraft grade sheepskins and throw them over the stock cushions.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

you can be pretty confident JA does not provide fire retardant material remember we're talking experimental here :-), sheepskin is nice but it won't help my heavy hiney:-(

Steve
scubarider
Veteran Member

window

Post by scubarider »

The window attachment looks great.  I was just going to Ace Hardware{you know they have loads of aircraft parts} to find something I could use.  Was going to use something like what a boat would use, but I like your gas strut better.   Where did you get them?  Thanks
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
scubarider
Veteran Member

picture

Post by scubarider »

Hey, how about a picture of your panel?  What is that fancy colorful little doohicky on the top left??
Dennis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

The springs can be ordered from Industrial Gas Springs, Inc. http://www.indgassprings.com/pages/prod_ss_mgs.html, Model # 4-2.5-7.08-ME-PLE-15LBS. I bought 20lbs springs but 15lbs springs would work better, not as stiff. I used AN742D6 and D8 clamps which get riveted in place to they don't rotate or slide because the clamps don't get tight enough.
The LED gizmo is the Angle of Attach (AOA) indicator, its the electronic version.  The panel is grey and white hammer tone powder coating.  

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Steve

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Steve.  Will be taking a look at those.  WOW...really nice panel.  Looks serious  8)
Fantastic job.  My panel is the grey hammed tone too.  I really like the look.  Will have to get a current pic here soon.
Thanks again!
Dennis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

thanks Dennis, and it only took three tries to get it to this point and even then after assembling it all again I find things I would like to change. :? Oh well, I can live with it.
stede52
Premium Member

Turtle deck and under wing fairings

Post by stede52 »

Just a couple more build pics from snowy Canation, Wa.
For the turtle deck fairing I used .040 aluminum with and #3 flush rivets. I also epoxied the fairing to the turtle deck for safe keeping (not that it probably needed it).
For the under wing fairings I use .020 with #3 flush rivets. I first put a one inch 90 degree bend on the aluminum piece which would attach to the false rib. I then made cuts thru the one inch section every inch for the length of material I needed.  This allowed for a smooth match of the airfoiled aluminum piece which fills the gap above the door.  I then flush riveted the door section to the wing section at each one inch tab, hence the many rivets. I'll be laying an epoxy fillet in the corner and at the same time covering the rivets to give it a seamless look.

It's obvious that I have too much time on my hands. :)

Steve
Wes
Premium Member

Aluminum Fairing Work

Post by Wes »

Hey Steve,
Really nice work on the fairings. I was fantasizing about how to do the root rib to fuselage fairing with Aluminum. I didn't like the fabric solution and I wanted something removeable. You took all the fun out of beating my brain on how to do it! Nice!
Also, I knew I was going to fill in that ugly gap between the flap and the turtle deck, your trim piece looks great!

I'm taking a step backwards on an elevator after 7 coats of paint and trying to patch a hole in the fabric- we are stripping it and starting over. The problem is a "bump" (weld splatter, powder coat, not sure) that pokes a hole in the fabric whenever I iron or sand the finish. Paint won't fill the void, no matter how I try. A lesson - DON"T TRY TO FABRIC COVER OVER BUMPS!

Keep up the good work.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:you can be pretty confident JA does not provide fire retardant material remember we're talking experimental here :-), sheepskin is nice but it won't help my heavy hiney:-(

Steve
I know what you mean but, experimental doesn't mean crap!
I found a pair of very nice, custom measured sheepskin ones that are FAA spec fire retardant and ordered them in light blue.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Misc Pics

stede52 wrote:Just a couple of pics. I found some small gas springs which work great for the window, probably not a necessity but I thought they were cool. I'll post the details if anyone would like to do the same.
For those of you who are XL, like myself.  I found a double stuffed lower cushion is really nice and at 255lbs and 6'5" I can't bottom them out.  Because I can't sew I had an auto upholstery place replace the 2" black side band with a 4" and install another foam pad. VERRRRY NICE on the touche!
Looks great, but @ 6'5" do you have enough headroom with a 4" foam seat?
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dave,
Let me put it this way, If I get into too much turbulence, I'll need to watch my head or move the seat way up  :?

Steve
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Hey Stede,
Panel looks great..is that the stock panel or did you upgrade as some others have with a larger or heavier grade panel?

I just ordered all of the components for mine and will be putting it together in the next two weeks once the efis arrives (1 week backorder) and am trying to finalize some items.

Return to “Just Aircraft”