Question on the Turtledeck

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Question on the Turtledeck

Post by scubarider »

Could someone please send me some pictures and some advice with the turtledeck.  How is it attached at the leading edge?  What would be the best way to cut it for the cables?  Did you put it on before or after painting the fuselage?
Thanks!
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
KevinC
Veteran Member

Turtle deck

Post by KevinC »

Dennis,

I cut the turtle deck for the cables as the last thing before disassembly and covering.  I made a cardboard mock-up of the turtle deck and taped it in place, making small snips and adjustments.  When happy with the cable clearance and the way it went on & off, I transfered marks from the cardboard to the metal and cut it out.  I plan to have it powder coated like Gary Weaver did.

For securing the leading edge - I haven't really figured that out yet.  It is pretty secure with clecos in all of the attach points, so I think some type of 'slot' to shove the leading edge into under the flashing will be sufficient.  Bridge to be crossed.

fwiw

k

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

No PIX yet but I'm trying to hinge the trailing edge so it can be opened back onto the tailcone at sea providing standup room, while still being totally removable for towing with folded wings.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks guys.  I will go ahead and make up a cardboard copy and after I get the wings painted will put it up and work on it.
Hey, sure would be nice one day for us to meet up somewhere in the middle {that is if I ever finish this bird}
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

The leading edge of the Turtledeck is held in place by the aft end of the windshield/skylight. Just place a strip of the same material as the TD (plastic or aluminum) under the skylight trailing edge positioned so there is room for the leading edge of the TD behind the spacer and under the skylight. This also aligns the TD for your 1/4 turn fasteners.

Alan, Kit #87, 155 hours and still flying.  :D
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:No PIX yet but I'm trying to hinge the trailing edge so it can be opened back onto the tailcone at sea providing standup room, while still being totally removable for towing with folded wings.
It's looking like I can slide the forward TD edge in nearly as far as it will go under the Lexan, which will be forward of three rear mounted slots with chain hinges. Then the TD will be slid backwards into the slots about 1/2" and quick pinned.

To hinge backwards at sea, the TD will be unpinned at the rear slots, slid forward enough to clear the rear slots, then it's aft edge lifted up to clear the slot brackets completely, slid backwards over top of the slot brackets until the forward edge clears the Lexan, then it can be folded aft onto the tail while being hinged by small brass or stainless chains attached to the rear slot brackets. The TD's forward edge will then be facing aft and the TD will be pulled aft to tension the chain hinges and then the center edge of the TD will be secured with a latch to the rear aspect of the dorsal stringer's latch bracket.

This way the TD will clear the flaps during wing folding and towing/trailering and, also be quickly openable and securely fastened at sea. Whew! (with extra strong chain hinges and aft stringer latch, I will probably even be able to fly with it open!?!)

Return to “Just Aircraft”