strobe wing cable routing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

strobe wing cable routing

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

OK, I've searched the forum and don't find any details on the best routes through the wingribs. Are guys drilling holes or going through those existing in the webs?

Best way to attach cables?

Thanks in advance.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I'm running mine in the trailing edge wing tub. easy to replace if necessary and you don't need to deal with those wires hanging out of the wing root when painting.

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:I'm running mine in the trailing edge wing tub. easy to replace if necessary and you don't need to deal with those wires hanging out of the wing root when painting.

Steve
Steve, you mean the aft wing spar (tube), right?
I thought those could be nice & easy too, but the rivet heads sticking out inside and the edges of the I-beams would be serious wear points for the electrical cables. How would that be dealt with?
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

tubing

Post by scubarider2 »

I did the same and ran all wires down the tube.  I put the wires inside a tube{hose} and extended it out and around the inside edge to the upside of the door.  I just bought the hose {clear} at the hardward store.  
I take a look for a picture somewhere.
D
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: tubing

scubarider2 wrote:I did the same and ran all wires down the tube.  I put the wires inside a tube{hose} and extended it out and around the inside edge to the upside of the door.  I just bought the hose {clear} at the hardward store.  
I take a look for a picture somewhere.
D
Yeah, I was thinking maybe even PVC tube to house the cable. It sure sounds easiest if the wear issue with all those rivet heads doesn't cause problems down the road.
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Yes the aft wing tube. Personally I don't think PVC tubing is necessay probably some plastic corragated wire sheathing should work.
Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:Yes the aft wing tube. Personally I don't think PVC tubing is necessay probably some plastic corragated wire sheathing should work.
Steve
Well, I'm always looking for the worst case scenario and it often comes to pass. I look inside the wing spars and see those rivet heads sticking up faily high, like 3/16" or more (we used Cherry Max solid core structural pop rivets which may leave more deformed end exposed than the conventional ones do) and it just seems that the thicker the better for the conduit for the cables.

As the rivet heads gradually wear into the conduit material from constant engine vibrations, if it's thick enough, they'll never be able to wear through to the electrical cables.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

I did the same, ran them inside the aft spar tube, mostly because all the planes at the factory were that way when I visited. I gave some thought to stripping the outside jacket off the 3 wire cable to save weight, but like you I was a little concerned about chafing so I left it on.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

rgmullins wrote:I did the same, ran them inside the aft spar tube, mostly because all the planes at the factory were that way when I visited. I gave some thought to stripping the outside jacket off the 3 wire cable to save weight, but like you I was a little concerned about chafing so I left it on.
I've read of that described of as a shielding and wondered if that layer also helps with static reduction from the strobes on the nav or something?
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

I don't know for certain, but I would think electrical noise would be blocked by the aluminum spar, at least for the section inside the spar
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

We got 3 ten foot lengths of very light, white, 1/2" PVC and it slides in just right, aft of the rear wing spar I-beams, with one glued joint each side and all edges rounded and smoothed.

Return to “Just Aircraft”