rivet stitching

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
billy5823
Veteran Member

rivet stitching

Post by billy5823 »

hey all,  what is the spacing on the rivetstiching? and i dont remember seeing the flap and aeliron stiched at the factory ? any advice thanks billy
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

3 inches apart for mine.  On the control surfaces I spaced 2 evenly centered on those ribs.  Seems more than enough.

Paul, PA
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

A friend is helping me build my plane. After riveting the wings, he said "lets use some of the rivets I used on my plane on the flaps..."

HOLY COW!! His are about 1/3 the height. Look MUCH nicer. If I had know about those, I would have thrown away the ones that came with the kit and bought his.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

rgmullins
Are you talking about a different kind of rivet itself or are you talking about rib stitching? If its an actual rivet could you tell us what they are and where to get them? I'm all for a flatter rivet that can be used for the wing, however, I don't want to go thru the work of rib stiching.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

stede52 wrote:rgmullins
Are you talking about a different kind of rivet itself or are you talking about rib stitching? If its an actual rivet could you tell us what they are and where to get them? I'm all for a flatter rivet that can be used for the wing, however, I don't want to go thru the work of rib stiching.
I got 800 or so from Stuart Brothers which are virtually flat, about 1/16" high on the dial calipers. About 3/8" or so in diameter # 752-110262. They're ST/AL and called large flange nail rivets 0702. BSL. 42
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Like Dave said, they are low profile rivets. What my friend had was 1/8 inch.  He said he got them from Lockwood Aviation. They were called large area rivets and the part number on the invoice was HWLAR. I tried their website but it comes up as being down for maintenance. The ribbons laid almost perfectly flat over the low profile rivets. Even after trying to iron them down, the fabric didn't lay as nice with the factory supplied ones, which aren't flat but have a domed head.

Rick
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

thanks guys, I'll find them.

Steve
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dave,
I can't find a Stuart Brothers website with rivets. could you give us the site?
Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:Dave,
I can't find a Stuart Brothers website with rivets. could you give us the site?
Steve
Here you go, they're over in Cashmere WA:

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/products.aspx?cid=3
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Oh! that Stuart! Thanks

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

rgmullins wrote:Like Dave said, they are low profile rivets. What my friend had was 1/8 inch.  He said he got them from Lockwood Aviation. They were called large area rivets and the part number on the invoice was HWLAR. I tried their website but it comes up as being down for maintenance. The ribbons laid almost perfectly flat over the low profile rivets. Even after trying to iron them down, the fabric didn't lay as nice with the factory supplied ones, which aren't flat but have a domed head.

Rick
These from Stewart Brothers are very low profile but they do have a very slight dome to them.
Now you have me wondering just which kind has the lowest profile!

Return to “Just Aircraft”