Help with Rotax install

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Help with Rotax install

Post by gme9261236 »

Thanks to a very generous forum user we have aquired some loaner rotax brackets to get the motor installed (when ours come in we will swap the brackets) but we have come up with a question.

as installed already on the rotax there is a line which looks like it holds some type of coolant that is very much in the way of the motor mount. We took the tube off the fitting because there was no physical way that we can mount the engine with that placed the way it was. It appears that where it would interfere we may be able to twist that little curved fitting to help it suit us better but we figured it is better to ask here first. Since you probably have no idea what I am talking about I am attaching a photo.

Anyone have some insight as to how you did it and could maybe include a good photo? We have the same problem on the other side.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Sorry,

I cannot make out from your photo what you're talking about.  When I zoom in on it, the picture is too blurry to see and too close to make out where it is located.  Maybe describe where it is and what it feeds off of?  Or take a photo from a little farther away so we can tell which one it is.  My guess is that it is a line off your water pump housing in the back of the engine.  What is the line running into? or what is in it's way?   The mounts that you are borrowing, do they have extra material added to their fronts for an airbox installation?  If so, you want to make sure that extra material on them is in the front, not reversed so they are sticking backwards causing a clearance issue.  Again, not sure which hose is in your way.  Also, do a quick search for 912 installation pictures on here, in this forum and you should see a few shots of engines completely mounted that might help out but from what I recall they are all side shots  

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

yep same problem

Post by scubarider2 »

Yep, I had the same problem.  Not sure I solved it very well but did end up buying more hose and rerouting.  Still goes right over the mounting bolt.  Since everything will vibrate together should not wear.  But will keep an eye on it.  Mounting the engine was difficult due to everything was in the way.  Do a search here.  There were several having the same problem.
Dennis
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Thanks guys,
It is the line coming from the water pump I believe. If you are standing on the left side of the engine (prop to your left, tail to your right) it is the line that connects right behind the back of the engine mount and then connects to the head it looks like. Does anyone know if that little elbow connection on the waterpump can be turned to a different angle (ie swiveled)? That would help somewhat but we didnt want to take the chance on spinning it to point it in a different direction if it is fixed.

I think what you said dennis is best, we are going to have to get a hose with more length and route it anyway we can get it there to get the job done. At this point I think there is no other option.

also on another note....MOUNTING THE TRANSPONDER AND ICOM IC-A200..

we have the mounting trays for them but there is no way to mount the tray to the panel. Did you all just make an L bracket that secures to the side of the tray and then rivets to the panel to hold the tray in place? I would assume that is what everyone has done but can never be sure.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

yep

Post by scubarider2 »

I loosened the two screws that are above and below the elbow.  Did not budge.  So I left as is and just bought a longer hose and rerouted it.  Both sides have a problem.  So I just did the same on both just looking for the best route.
I also have an ICOM A-200.  That is what I did.  I put in four L brackets and used rivets.  Works great.  I believe if you do a search I have a picture somewhere here on the back side.  I also made up a support on the other end to hold the weight up.  That way no stress on the panel.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I replaced the 90 degree elbow with a 45 degree elbow.  I ordered it from Lockwood aviation.  This gave me clearance and simplified the routing of the coolant hose.  Lockwood will sell you the elbow and the required locktite to install it.

Dave
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

here's a configuration of a bracket I made for my A200 in my other plane
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Thanks for the help...
I think I will take both of your advice and buy the 45 instead of the 90 and some longer line to reroute it. I agree that I think the 45 would make it an easier run.

Stede- I like what you did with the bracket because it incorporates the bracing for the weight at the same time. Good pictures
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

bracket

Post by scubarider2 »

I thought about doing the same thing with the radio bracket but could not due to the available space.  I just riveted the radio base to the front then made a "sling" with rubber on the inside to support the weight on the backside.
D
Wes
Premium Member

Engine Mount Brackets

Post by Wes »

A swing back on topic---

I am not happy with the engine mount bolts provided with the FF package.
-First probelm: The Rotax Install manual (parag 9.1) says I need a min of 25 mm engagment of the thread. The bolts provided are only 30 mm long and the bracket is 10 mm thick. (see photo), so that don't add up right. Seems I need a 40 mm length bolt. I measured the depth of the threaded blind hole in the engine block and it is about 33mm.
- Second problem, the bolts provided are full thread which means I have a thread-in-bearing situation which is generally not allowed in aircraft/aerospace applications, especially when there is a critical shear load situation. (these are the only 4 bolts holding my engine in my airplane!)

So, I am tryng to find a metric high strength bolt (12.9) that is 10mmX1.5 by 40mm long with 10 mm of shoulder. I found a 50mm long bolt with a nice shoulder that I tried to cut more threads on and trim to length, but it is tuff to cut threads in this stuff.

Anybody run across this situation and have a solution?

Thanks,
Wes

kit #95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”