I AM IN THE AIR

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

I AM IN THE AIR

Post by scubarider2 »

JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I AM IN THE AIR!!!  :D  :D  :D
FLEW WONDERFUL, NOTHING MAJOR.  A couple minor things mostly electrical.  Flew straight and true.  FAST!
Here is a blurrrrry picture..More to come!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wes
Premium Member

First Flight Milestones

Post by Wes »

Dennis,

A big Congrats' to you for the great job on the Escapade! It is encouraging for us 'wanna be' builders. The things actually FLY!
When you get your feet back on the ground, we would be interested in some (any) observations about , -performance, - squawks, - noise, - engine parameters, - etc.

Again, -Way-To-Go!

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

KUDOS to you Dude!
Nice job, we have a PIX of Tequila Sunrise in the hangar.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

kool

Post by scubarider2 »

KOOOOLLLL, thanks!  8)
Sorry about the big first pic....kinda got carried away.  After alittle over one year with 750 hours to finally get it in the air was really sweeeet.
My plan will be eval everything as I go along and try my best to let you guys know of anything "I wish I had dones"...
Was way to nervous the first few times to notice anything but wow...in the air....wow....am now back on the ground!   :lol:
Dennis
KevinC
Veteran Member

flight

Post by KevinC »

Very cool, Dennis.  Congrats.

k
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Way cool, Dennis!

And it will just keep getting better.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
billy5823
Veteran Member

great

Post by billy5823 »

congrats, cant wait to fly mine. hoping for a couple more months. must have been a once in a life time experience.  had to be a rush .
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Congratulations!! The only thing missing was the picture of the pilot behind the stick with the big shit-eating-grin.....

Now if I can just get JA to send me the parts they have been promising for almost a month...
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

keep working

Post by scubarider2 »

Keep working guys, it is all worth it.  What a wonderful bird.  After 3 take-offs and landings I have alittle data.  Right now she cruises at 80mph indicated at 4600rpms.   Did not run her past 80 yet.  I have only had her up the one day.  Hope to go again sometime this week.  The few electrical problems were simply the radio which was alittle lose in the tray which I think I fixed and the GPS which I need to get a better external antenna {just ordered}.  
Trim worked well and didn't need much to fly hands off.  I need to type up some pre-flight/before take-off/after take-off/before landing/after landing card.  I forgot some things in all my excitement like turning the strobes on and turning fuel pump off.
I filled the gas tank one gallon at a time and marked with permanent marker on the inside tanks.  That helps.  
After filling the tanks I noticed that the tires turn in alittle due to the weight.  I will have to take a picture of that to see if it is normal.  BUT, I know I have that funny little wheel in the front and the smaller tires then the rest of you so........hmmmmmm
I still have to continue to torque the prop bolts so no spinner for alittle while longer.
All for now,,,,more to come.
D
John S

Post by John S »

Dennis,
Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiration.  Your plane is gorgeous.  Best of luck with it.  My partner Don S, and I are just starting the wing trailing edges, and are close to starting the wiring.  That great photo you posted will get us through at least the wing work, then we'll need more !

Best Regards,
John Smoyer
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

What did your completed plane end up weighing?
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Weight and Balance

Post by scubarider2 »

I did the weight and balance and the numbers came out ok.  The total empty weight was 730lbs.  I did add pretty much what I wanted to so not really that bad.  I figure that with loaded fuel and luggage I can comfortably handle myself at 185lbs and a passenger of about 250.  Not bad....I can give you specifics of the weight and balance if you would like.  Just let me know.
D
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

That sounds about what i was expecting. JA claims 620 empty weight. I suppose you might get that if you flew without instruments and didn't paint it, maybe leave out the seats, you probably don't really need tires on the wheels......

the other number I wonder if they might have fudged a little is the cruise speed. I suspect it might be a little high.
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

cruise speed

Post by scubarider2 »

I believe the cruise speed will be a around the 90-95 mark comfortable.  Pushing downhill quickly maybe 100mph.  She sings at 80mph in the upper 4000rpm range.  I will let you know as soon as I go up and push alittle.  
D
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Weight and Balance

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

scubarider2 wrote:I did the weight and balance and the numbers came out ok.  The total empty weight was 730lbs.  I did add pretty much what I wanted to so not really that bad.  I figure that with loaded fuel and luggage I can comfortably handle myself at 185lbs and a passenger of about 250.  Not bad....I can give you specifics of the weight and balance if you would like.  Just let me know.
D
I for one, would very much like to see your W&B and CG work, the whole weighing process actually. Thanks!

Return to “Just Aircraft”