I AM IN THE AIR

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

weight and balance

Post by scubarider2 »

I will try and post what I have for weight and balance.  Let's see if this works.  I followed a pretty easy process with three low profile bathroom scales.  I followed the steps in one of my magazines which also gave a website that does all the calculations for you.  Was pretty neat.  I can get that info for you if you like.  I bet you could probably just do a google search and find some good sites as well.  I even thin the EAA website has a good one.  
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
I looked at your weight and balance sheet.  The acceptable CG for the escapade is 9" to 15.5" aft of datum.  I think that based on the numbers for weights the plane is ok, but there is something wrong with the sheet you did.

I calculated the empty cg at 10.69" AOD, the solo weight CG is 11.88" AOD, and the fully loaded CG is 13.93" AOD.

There is a weight and balance sheet in the build manual on page B-3.  The arm lengths are listed on B-2.

Check it out and let us know.

Dave
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Cool assembly of data.
Does any exist specific to the Highlander that someone can post?
Thanks.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Dave

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks Dave.  I will have to take a look this weekend.  I don't think my manual said anything about weight and balance, just a blank couple pages.  I did my own measurements and like I said just plugged it into the program on the website.  I will have to look and get back to you.  Would be very interested to know if I did it right or not.  Does not sound like it.  :oops:   But your figures look more like what it should be.  
Dennis
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

After more thought

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks Dave,  after looking again and using the data found in the instruction manual I have recalculated the CG for the Escapade {Tequila Sunrise}.  Please find attached.
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

Calll it old age but it appears you went right from building to flying and I somehow missed  your DAR inspection.  Must have missed it in another post.  Any highlights from it?  You went ELSA, right?

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Yep

Post by scubarider2 »

Yep, it is in another post.  Had the inspection from the same person that does some of the inspections out at the Wahalla site.  He was really understanding about getting it done before the original deadline for transitioning fat ultralights.  It just seemed a smoother process that way.  So yes, I got it done as an ESLA.  Not sure if that is even possible now.  It just worked out for me. Right timing.  The inspection was more paperwork than anything sense he was very familiar with the Escapade.  He first gave me the paperwork for JA to fill out for certification of ESLA.  When I called to see about getting that done, they said they have not done the necessary paperwork on their end for ESLA.  So I went back to my DAR and asked him if we could just do it like everyone else out at my airport with transitioning ultralights.  He said sure.  So got it done that way.  
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”