fuel cap vents

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

fuel cap vents

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Dennis, I think it was on your plane that I saw some lower profile, nicer looking ones than the standard bent tubes.
Did you buy them?
Thanks
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

nope

Post by scubarider2 »

Nope, used the ones they gave me.  Low to the wing but long to the front.  
I am still having some problems with the left side though.  Still putting some gas out the tube.  Maybe just too full.  Not leaking after a couple gallons used so must be that.  I cleaned and lightly sanded the inside of the tank which made no more leaking from the cap.
D
John S

fuel cap vents

Post by John S »

Hi, guys,
I have the caps with tabs that flip up (after a mighty lift and pull), and Tim told me to drill vent holes through only the top surface of the cap, not all the way through.  I can't figure out how that will vent the tank.  Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks.
John Smoyer
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

did the same

Post by scubarider2 »

Yep, did the same.  You can only drill through the top section since the bottom section is the one that moves to seal the cap to the tank.  It does vent, mine does and maybe too well.  One side leaking.  Not sure why the other is not.  hmmmmm   Be careful when you bond the vent tube also.  I made that first mistake and bonded it to the bottom, too much epoxy.  It would not open and close.  So had to heat, remove and rebond.  Now works ok.  
Dennis
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I drilled the top to allow the tube to be inserted and epoxied in place.  I also drilled the bottom piece, otherwise I did not see how it would vent.

I just took the cap apart, drilled both portions, and then made sure that the hole in the top was not directly in line with the bottom when I tightented the lock nut.

Dave
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Guys,
It was my way,more simple. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Uwe,

Did you just drill right into the top of the tank and epoxy or did you use something to support it on the tank as you mounted.  Maybe just some body puddy I'm seeing around it under the skin.  

Paul, PA
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Paul,
If you seen on the tank, it has some internal divisions. On this site, the fiber glass is wider, I drilled a hole just on the side of the division and put some epoxy.  It is quite rigid. I think I wil have no problem.  The other system on drilling the cap I don´t really understand how it works if you don´t drill the internal side of the cap.  I had some doubts about the good work of the cap after doing the drilling ( fuel leaking, etc)
That is all,
Uwe/.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

weird

Post by scubarider2 »

It is weird how it works but it does.  I only drilled the top and put the tube in just like the directions have you do.  The vent WORKS.  I can see gas fumes escaping.  As I have said I do have one that leaks gas out of the tube though.  Not sure why one but not the other.  It is not leaking now due to the drop in fuel in the tank {after flying it for awhile  :D  }
Dennis
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Uwe,

I was wondering about putting the vent tube even farther towards the cockpit to allow more room for when the wings are folded and to avoid fuel seepage out.  I see it is reinforced along the edge as well.  The one thing I question about doing this right on the edge is that if I recal some type of gap cover goes over this section.  I don't recall any pieces from JA for this in my kit but I remember seeing Troy fold unfold one to reveal this gap as it was not visible once in flight mode or unfolded.  I will be folding regularly so I'm looking for the best option.  I'd prefer to fill it up before storage to keep out moisture.  On the other hand, others on here have had no problems with just drilling the caps but I wonder if anybody really uses the fold option as much??

Paul, PA
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Paul and Dennis
We don´t need to forget that these venting tubes are not only for ventilation but also for pressurized the fuel tanks while flying.  THis is why I still don´t understand how the drill caps works.
Paul, I believe you could place the venting tubes on the closer side of the tank to the cockpit, so when you fold the wings they stay on the higher place and won´t have a fuel leakeage,  if you fix the tubes on the tank you will have a problem, since you´ll change the tubes direction.  They will end up perpendicular with the air flow producing a ventury and it will suck the fuel from the tanks to the outside.
I have an idea, I am giving you some numbers on pieces of Spruce since I am not sure on how to explain this in English.  
You could place AN816 NIPPLE on the tank, size 1/4 Steel 4-4; then you put a NUT sleeve Coupling in the tubes, this way you can release the nut and turn the tubes to the other side when you fold the wings, this will always make the tubes will be right with the airflow; or just place a plug in the tubes when you fold the wings.
I hope you get the idea,  I think the people who already placed the tubes in the caps also will need to rotate the caps when they fold the wings to prevent the ventury suction.
Regards, Uwe/.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Paul ,Look the attachment.
uwe/.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

I'd sure like to know of an easy way to vent fuel tanks without the tubes sticking up. They're inconvenient when one wants to throw a tarp over the wing for shade & shelter.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dave,
 I guess you could buy two extra fuel caps & not install
the tubes for those times when you want to cover the aircraft.

I think it would be a little risky drilling into the top
of the tanks. If you happen damage that joint, it
could leave you in a real bind to replace the tank.

I'll live with the ram tubes in the caps...

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Johnny C! wrote:Dave,
 I guess you could buy two extra fuel caps & not install
the tubes for those times when you want to cover the aircraft.

I think it would be a little risky drilling into the top
of the tanks. If you happen damage that joint, it
could leave you in a real bind to replace the tank.

I'll live with the ram tubes in the caps...

John
Maybe if the caps  were left loose John. Still need venting for cool nights turning to hot days...
I guess Cessna type vents on the bottom of tanks must have a pressure valve?

Return to “Just Aircraft”