Short Field take off's

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Short Field take off's

Post by Gary H »

Thought you guy's might enjoy this. This is at my field in Othello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbozrPXh ... 8E&index=3
Will fly for food!!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Short Field take off's

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Gary H wrote:Thought you guy's might enjoy this. This is at my field in Othello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbozrPXh ... 8E&index=3
Nicely done Gary, thanks. Great music too.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Nice! the last segment reminds me of the test flight Troy took me on when I picked up my kit. When we got in the plane he asked me what I wanted, and I replied "show me what it will do..." In retrospect I was saying this to the guy that at Oshkosh was showing me his scars from motorcycle wheelies at 90mph gone bad. We take off from the factory "runway" (hill). When we lifted off, instead of flying away we continued down the hill then across the water and then made a high banked turn against the trees on the other side. Then we were doing quick turns left and right to follow the water channel with trees that seemed like a couple wing spans away. At one point we came to what looked like the end, we pulled up sharply over the trees, then dropped back down to the water again. It was an exciting ride. I can also tell you that the Excapade does a nice roll....
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

cool

Post by scubarider2 »

Really cool video.  Beats mine hands down.....hmmmm  8)   Gotta work on another!
Hey, Troy took me on the very same ride!!!!  That is what sold me on my plane!   :lol:   :shock:
Dennis
Gary H
Veteran Member

video

Post by Gary H »

Take a look at this one. This is the Challenger I built a couple of years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ny5ts2lVk
Will fly for food!!
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Really short field TO&L's

Post by ftcaruso »

don’t think that any of us who have had the opportunity to fly with Troy out of the JA strip will ever forget that adventure.  But even more challenging than the take-off, is the return to their “runway” since you you are flying below the tree line with no view of the hill strip until you turn final.  And, as only the last half of that 600 foot wooded cut out is usable for landing, there is that nagging doubt that you will stop in time, before reaching the end, with that factory  building directly in front of you. And yet, on each of the half dozen or so arrivals that I have made with Troy,  he has had to add power on roll-out in order to make it all the way up to the top of the hill.  And speaking of the roll capabilities of their Escapade, on a flight that I made with him a few months ago, he asked if I wanted to do an “aileron roll”.  Vaguely recalling an exercise that I had done during my primary training days back in the 50’s, I said, sure.  I remember that it involved applying continuous and rapid aileron with opposite rudder actions consecutively while in cruise, trying to maintain a straight and level track over the ground.  Well, you can imagine my surprise when, after applying full power and a short, sustained dive, he pulled back and we went up, and over in a gentle 360 degree roll, as I looked up at the ground.  Obviously I confused an aileron roll with something entirely different.

Return to “Just Aircraft”