In Air Picture and YouTube

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

In Air Picture and YouTube

Post by scubarider2 »

Just thought I would post a pic of todays flight.  Clicked off another 3 hours today toward the 40 required. Up to 8 whole hours!
Dennis

And Here Is The Link to My YouTube Video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnDtIo4oPU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scubarider2 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Lookin' good... must be nice!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
Are you happy with the plane?  Does it do what you expected?  easy enough to land?  Let us know your thoughts on the Escapade.  

WHat are you seeing for fuel burn?  What does 5500 rpm give you for level flight?  What is the takeoff distance on a normal day?

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Dave

Post by scubarider2 »

Dave,  I am very happy with the Escapade.  Is it what I expected?....yes, a little slower than I had wanted but other than that wonderful.  I run it at 4400rpms and get right at 80mph.  I wanted a cruise at 100mph but only get that at 5500rpms nose down.  So, comfortable cruise is right at 4800-5000rpms at 90mph.  I have things like the nose wheel sticking out there, I have the landing lights out there, etc.  I could probably work on it some to get a few extra mph but I can live with 90mph.  
Landing the Escapade is a breeze!  VERY stable and straight.  I am working on getting shorter and shorter.  I could land my ultralight pretty short...will work on it.  Take off distance with one notch flaps is less than 100ft and could do better I am sure.
Overall, very happy.  I loaded it with several luxury items like an Ipod, nice cabin heat, glove box, things like that.  Really made it comfortable.  Have not figured fuel burn yet.  I am guessing at 4.0 gph at 4400-4600rpms.  4.5-5.0 higher rpms.  
I am glad that I got the Highlander wings.  Adds stability, take-off, and a better sink rate I am sure.  I am glad I spent the time with the paint as well.  Really adds that special touch.  The seat cushions are not the best.  Might look for something more comfortable down the road.  More later!
Dennis
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

Thanks for your last post.  Feedback like this gives us all good actual data as well as perceived, to base against.  Sometimes we get so into the "build", it is nice to just hear someone flying one for once and how they feel about their own plane.

My wings are about half covered, getting ready to order paint soon.  About to mount the cowling and get it ready.  

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

close

Post by scubarider2 »

Does not sound like you have that much to go now Paul...hang in there!!
Dennis
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Dennis

Just had the opportunity to view your youtube video.  Very nice!  Love the paint scheme!  You have a very bright and “sunny” looking aircraft   What airport are you flying out of?  I am probably still 2 months away from making my Highlander’s first flight, but by mid-April weather should be very nice at theClemson, SC airport.

Frank
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Hey

Post by scubarider2 »

Hey Frank,  I have a hangar at Mountain Pvt airport.  We are between Gainesville and Habersham airports in Georgia.  We are on the map.  Would love a visit anytime!  Keep working!
Dennis
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Dennis, I know you managed to get your plane registered as ELSA. 40  hours is what's required for phase 1 testing for amateur built but 5 hours is all thats required for ELSA. Did your DAR set it higher?

Have you had a chance to play around at the slow end? What kind of stall speed are you seeing? Did you put the vortex generators on the wings?

Rick
(still waiting for engine mounts)
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dennis,
 What engine did you use?

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

YEP

Post by scubarider2 »

Hey, Yep the DAR set mine at 40 hours.  He said it was because I built it and he wanted to make sure he gave me enough time to run it through the paces  :?
Anyway, no problem.  Will fly those off asap.  I have played around with the low end.  Not with flaps though {flying dirty}.  With full large tanks and me at 190lbs and using the ROTAX 912uls and a three blade Warp Drive I can get it to right at 32mph indicated for stall.  I did not and don't plan on putting on the vortex generators.  Not worth it for what kind of flying I will be doing.  
JOHNNY, ended up going the the rotax 912uls.  RUNS FANTASTIC!  quiet and smooth.  Not hard to crank in the winter so far either.  
D
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Don't be too quick to dismiss the vortex generators. I had a couple guys where I took my lessons say they were extra drag, didn't make that much difference, etc, etc. So I went out and did a little research. This is one of those rare cases where you can have your cake and eat it too. The extra drag on the leading edge is negated by the reduced parasitic drag. In last months EAA sport aircraft magazine they tested a couple imported planes called the Savage. The one with VGs was easier to land and could slow down so much the airspeed indicator would stop working. Do some searches. I didn't think I was going to use them until I did some reading.
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Vortex generators

Post by ftcaruso »

Interesting point that you have provided Rick.  I know that JA offers a vortex generator as an option, but I wasn’t sure that I wanted all of those “unsightly”  plastic tabs atop my wings.  Since I have installed a lift reserve indicator (I believe that they were called “angle of attack” indicators when I was last flying a dozen or more years ago), it only makes sense that I take advantage of that instrument by enabling a slower landing approach speed via those VG’s.  I intend to take your advice and do some further reading on the subject.

Frank
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I recently inquired about the use of vortex generators on the aircraft from which the aircraft of Just Aircraft were designed. They were considered very useful.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I used vortex generators on my Challenger II and it reduced the stall speed of it by 4-5 mph so I feel they actually work.  I'm considering them on my Highlander also and the ones provided by JA are quite small and clear so they really don't look that bad.

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”