False rib tape termination

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

False rib tape termination

Post by KevinC »

Where do you terminate the tape that covers the false rib to avoid an ugly seam?  Thanks

K

scubarider2
Topic Moderator

tip

Post by scubarider2 »

I cut mine right at the very tip not going on the leading edge.  Mine did not show this way.
D
KevinC
Veteran Member

tape

Post by KevinC »

my false ribs are 'blended into' the leading edge with body filler - were yours?  There really isn't a 'tip' visible anymore.

k
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I folded the tape in half, cut a 45 degree angle on it, so when unfolded there was a nice even point.  I then put the point right where the rib joined the spar.  This blended in invisibly.

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

no

Post by scubarider2 »

No, I did not blend them in with puddy.  I did sand them to a point on the leading edge.  I ran the tape right to the very tip before the leading edge.  The way the fabric lays it moved right over that tip and the tape was invisible.  
Here is a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

thanks!

Post by KevinC »

Thanks guys.

Dave - I must be telepathetic.  I just came in from the shop to read your post, having finished the job exactly the way you described!

Ready to cover left wing.

k
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: no

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

scubarider2 wrote:No, I did not blend them in with puddy.  I did sand them to a point on the leading edge.  I ran the tape right to the very tip before the leading edge.  The way the fabric lays it moved right over that tip and the tape was invisible.  
Here is a pic
Are the Highlander false ribs meant to stick up above the wing surface and be a type of micro vortex generator?
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

They all seem to stick up higher so I wasn't concerned when I saw mine doing that also.  They wouldn't generate any vortex as they are inline with the airflow.  

Paul, PA
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

b1x4nqb wrote:They all seem to stick up higher so I wasn't concerned when I saw mine doing that also.  They wouldn't generate any vortex as they are inline with the airflow.  

Paul, PA
The small MVGs on the leading edges are also in line with airflow. I think Lynn's plane has them. Maybe I'm using the wrong term...
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

the reason for the false ribs being slightly higher then the main ribs was to keep a more consistant airfoil between the mains. If they were the same height as the main ribs the overall average level of the fabric between the mains would be lower then at the main ribs. I"m not sure how much difference it would make to have them level but that was what I was told the philosophy was behing the difference in height. They definitely don't act as vortex generators.

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:the reason for the false ribs being slightly higher then the main ribs was to keep a more consistant airfoil between the mains. If they were the same height as the main ribs the overall average level of the fabric between the mains would be lower then at the main ribs. I"m not sure how much difference it would make to have them level but that was what I was told the philosophy was behing the difference in height. They definitely don't act as vortex generators.

Steve
Cool, so the extra false rib height is designed to maintain better air flow between the main ribs. Ours are 1/2" higher than the main ribs at the front, tapering down to even at the rib stringer. Would they need any trimming ?
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dave,
I couldn't tell you if they need to be trimmed, I assume the factory pieces are correct. I didn't think too much more about it because I decided to go with the leading edge wrap :lol:
Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:Dave,
I couldn't tell you if they need to be trimmed, I assume the factory pieces are correct. I didn't think too much more about it because I decided to go with the leading edge wrap :lol:
Steve
What is this leading edge wrap of which you spreak?
stede52
Premium Member

leading edge wrap

Post by stede52 »

Dave, see attached pic

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: leading edge wrap

stede52 wrote:Dave, see attached pic

Steve
Now THAT's a leading edge wrap! Nice. TNKS

Return to “Just Aircraft”