Redoing the Bungees with Troy and Flying Pic

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Redoing the Bungees with Troy and Flying Pic

Post by scubarider2 »

I flew to Clemson Airport in SC today to meet up with Troy.  I wanted him to go over the plane to give it a good inspection.  The first thing he noticed is that the wheels had a slight camber outside.  He said I needed to tighten up the bungees.  He looked and I had 5 turns around each.  He said I needed six.  So he said he could do it right on the plane.  See pic.  Man, I did 5 turns on a vice.  He did 6 under the plane.  He said next time just put my "purse" down so I could get two hands on it.  #$%^&.   :evil:    :lol:
So take a look at the pics.  
Also, here is me with my sh#$%^ eatin grin at 3500 ft  :roll:
Keep truckin~~~
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

love those cockpit pix

Post by KevinC »

Looks like you are having a great day!  Very inspirational.

k
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

eye

Post by scubarider2 »

Keep your eye on the prize guys and gals....well worth it when you are done.  Of course, I don't think you ever really get done.  Always something to modify.  :lol:
Dennis
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Well, Dennis, I learned something interesting yesterday. If I had looked closer at your pictures I would have learned it somewhat earlier.

I have had negative camber in my tires evertime I flew. I would just pick up a wing and let the tire slide back in whenever I parked. After reading your first post, I thought about checking the number of wraps on my 'plane, just to be sure, even though I was sure I had done what the manual said to do.

To make a short story somewhat longer, I pulled off the second set of covers (the first set was torn up by the bungies stretching too much and poking holes, and the second set is about gone as well) and counted the wraps. I have 4 wraps front and 4 wraps back on each leg. I also did this on a vice. I tried to increase the wraps to six front and back with no success on the first try. As I was trying to figure out the best way to do it, I noticed the bungie on the other side was just about to break. The cover was worn/frayed in several spots and one section had the cover completely torn away. Ouch!

A quick call to Just AC (I have them on speed dial) led me through Lynn, Harry, and finally to Dennis, Troy's Dad. I wanted to order two more bungies and find out exactly how many wraps to use. That's when I found out there were supposed to be two (2) bungies per gear leg. I had only received two total, one per gear leg, and have been flying that way for almost two years and 172.7 hours. Since I am based on a field where the wind in 99% crosswind with trees on both sides of the runway, I have had some real bouncers. I'm really lucky I haven't had a bungie break. I do have a safety on both legs, so maybe it would have been OK.

Anyway, Just is sending me four new bungies and all should be well.

Spring is almost here and maybe we can have a drought this summer to balance the wettest summer since 1942 we had last year.

Boogety, boogety, boogety!!! Let's go flyin' boys (and girls)!!!!  

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

alan

Post by scubarider2 »

Wow Alan....I can't believe how much camber you must have had.  I had quit a bit on mine with 5 loops and I did the same by picking up a wing.  I noticed that when Troy did it he did a cross over to the other side with the same bungee.  Then went back and hooked another bungee in the centers of the first bungee.  He made it look easy.  
Glad you caught it!!
8)
Dennis
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Alan,
I was right in the middle of the switchover to 4 bungees (2 per side) from the old 2 bungee system.  I called the factory regarding the number of wraps and they said they went to 4 total, I told them to send me a set.  They did.  I like the idea of the 2 per side.  If one breaks, there is still some bunge to it.   Plus now I have an emergency set of bungees in the shop.

Having the camber out of the wheels may make landing on pavement less of an issue.  Should want to drive a little straighter for you.

Dave
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

When I first started flying the Highlander she used to dart to the side with no warning. I eventually replaced the tailwheel and have reported much more positive ground handling. I am thinking now that the "dart" was because of the squishyness of the gear caused by not enough bungee. Even though the "dart" has not put in an appearance in a year or so, I am looking forward to the 4 bungee system to see how she feels. I predict improvement in an already fine machine.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Lynng
Veteran Member

speaking of purses..

Post by Lynng »

:D Troy told me that so many times I don't carry one any more...not really but ask him if he dropped his purse when he tried to grab hold of a 3 foot gator at Leesburg during his visit.  We had some fun that day! :lol:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Return to “Just Aircraft”