Continental 0200

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

There is a company in northern Ohio called Ram Performance that makes Subaru aircraft engines. I seem to remember he told me he had a 115hp engine that weighed about 120lbs. But looking at their web site now I don't see anything less than 130lbs. Not sure if they no longer sell that version or my memory has failed me again....
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

rgmullins wrote:There is a company in northern Ohio called Ram Performance that makes Subaru aircraft engines. I seem to remember he told me he had a 115hp engine that weighed about 120lbs. But looking at their web site now I don't see anything less than 130lbs. Not sure if they no longer sell that version or my memory has failed me again....
Wow, check out the supercharged Subaru EA81 with 200 hp weighing in @155lbs!
Subarus are certainly excellent engines in my experience with 2 in cars.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

A friend of mine has a Sube in an RV-6. He is now on his second engine in about 2 years and less than 200 hours and his only puts out 180 hp +/-. I guess it makes a difference who builds it and how careful they are.

Buyer Beware.

Alan N1010Z
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Referring  to the Continental O-200 engine installation, please remember  that since it only has four cylinders, it will have a center of gravity (CG) that is closer to the firewall than the  six cylinder Jabiru 3300 installation. From the research I have done, if the O-200 is kept light, I believe that the two engine installations will have a similar empty weight CG. Also, I should mention that I don't believe that the Jabiru 3300 requires any ballast added to the tail of the Highlander to keep the forward CG in range, so I don't believe a Highlander with either the Continental O-200, or the 125 HP Franklin 4A-235 engines installed will require any ballast in the tail either.   :wink:

Cheers,
Stan

Return to “Just Aircraft”