Rotax Engine Monitoring

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Rotax Engine Monitoring

Post by b1x4nqb »

I was just wondering what everyone is doing with their engine monitoring for the Rotax guys, that is.  It appears you only need to monitor 1-CHT (the hottest) for cooling and the oil temp & oil pressure.  Monitoring all 4 cht's and all 4 egt's seems unnecessary according to Rotax.  With the alt compensating carbs, you can't do anything about your EGT's anyway and the CHT's can't be adjusted either except that you'd want to not exceed the max temp.  I was going the Grand Rapids route, but am considering the analog gauge route at the last minute before ordering.  Not sure it is really any cheaper going analog as well either.  I thought I'd get your opinion and order before the Sun-N-Fun order rush and backlog..  

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

gauges

Post by scubarider2 »

Paul, what I have is all analog gauges.  I got the oil temp and oil pressure from Mitchell which have the ranges already embedded.  I also have two EGT's and two CHT's along with volts.  There are two CHT's one front and one back that are already set up on the 912uls.  I drilled for the EGT's.  I think it is important for the CHT's to gauge front and back temps since you don't have water temp.  The EGT's are just there so I can monitor for any changes not for mixture reasons.  If you have room or go the Grand Rapids route having EGT readouts would not be a bad idea.  I also have fuel pressure.  Always a good idea to know you are feeding the beast appropriately  :lol:  
Just my 1/2 cent worth.
Dennis
Wes
Premium Member

Engine Gages

Post by Wes »

Paul,
I am  kind of a 'round gages' guy. Too many years behind GA panels.
My only experience with EMS type systems was my brothers ultralight trikes with EIS systems, pretty reliable stuff, but I didn't like the idea of all my engine visibility in one basket.
I ordered the "Rotax Set" of Mitchell gages at Sun-N-Fun last year from Lockwood in Sebring.
I figured these are the people that know Rotax the best, so "fix me up!".
Well, it turned out to be great big hassle, - long delayed delivery (2 months) and several returns for wrong gages or marked incorrectly or not marked at all, - what a fiasco!
I mistakenly thought that I would save a lot of work going to the 'experts' , where I should have just bit the bullet and ordered my own gages and marked them myself. I ended up marking some of them myself anyway.

Wes
Kit #95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Gerald V9

Engine Gauges

Post by Gerald V9 »

Wes,
    The steam gauges are the way I went.  I used the small UMA, range marked gauges, available through Lockwood.  Installation was straight forward, using the Rotax senders, and they seem to work fine.  One nice thing about the EIS systems is the alarms as pressures/temperatures exceed limits.  Something to consider?
                                                                                                   Good Luck,  Gerald V9

Return to “Just Aircraft”