Oil thoughts with the Rotax

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Oil thoughts with the Rotax

Post by scubarider2 »

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the oil preferences out there.  I am using Yamaha motorcycle oil but have been looking at Mobil 1 MX4T.  Any suggestions out there???  :?:   I do plan on using mostly mogas but doing those extended trips will have to go with the 100LL.  I know about the semi versus full synethic.  My plan is to do regular oil changes at 25hours so either should be fine.  So whatcha think  :?:
Dennis
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I paid more for this engine (912uls) than I have paid for any entire vehicle I have owned.  The only thing that I paid more for is a house.

I am using the best oil I can find, and I believe that is the Mobil 1 racing 4T (formerly known as MX-4T).  I want the protection of full synthetic, and the fact that it is good for 50 hours of flight is nice.  I see no reason to change it more often than 50 hours, unless you are running a good percentage of 100LL.  On straight mogas, no reason to change sooner.

That is my thoughts on the oil issue.

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

can't find it

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok....so thinking about going with the Mobil and now can't find it anywhere.  Looked and called at all the motorcycle places...auto stores....hmmmmm :?
D
jak
Veteran Member

oil

Post by jak »

Hi all,   On oil the synthetics are by far and away better than any carbon based oil but don't try breaking the eng. in on it because it wont. The syn oil is so slick the eng. won't break in the rings won't seat, so you need to use a mineral oil for break in then switch.  The down side is the syn oil is about three times more when you go to buy it. I have been involved in lab test comparing mobile one  vs/ several different carbon based oils. There was no comparison with the end results. the mobile showed 0% wear over our test period and all the carbon oils (three of them) had significant wear. It  really was incredible. I have been using Mobile one ever since in all I own.   Jak
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I am speaking only of the Rotax 912 uls here.  There is no need for a "break in oil".  The engine can be operated right from the get go with synthetic oils.  The break in oil is typically used with the aircooled engines where there is a need for the rings to seat.  Not a factor on the rotax cylinders.

I have not heard the Lockwood folks or any other recommend a different oil for the first hours.

Dave
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

On the topic of locating the oil.  I was able to find it at the local Yamaha shop, but at a significantly higher price.  I was able to buy it by the case (6 quarts) from a wholesale Oil distributor.  Check the yellow pages for Oils-Fuels.  Then call a couple for the one that has the product.    Or just go to the nearest local service station and see where which wholesaler they purchase oil from.  The local Napa (national airplane Parts Association) store can probably get it for you.

Hope that works.  There is one type of the mobil 1 v-twin oil in a 20w-50 that Lockwood recommends.  Check with them for the exact oil.  All of the Harley people out there make that a little more available.

Dave
billy5823
Veteran Member

mobil

Post by billy5823 »

dennis you just didnt ask the right bike shop, i can get you all you want. it is about 14 bucks a court. be glad to ship you some or you can fly that new bird into my strip and pick it up, would love to see it . billy                                                      p.s. mine should be testing possible next weekend. waiting on exhaust. 7 month build time if i make it by end of month .                  i am also pretty fond of the bel ray products
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Bel-Ray semi-synthetic 10w-40 is what I use. You can't use full synthetic if you use avgas at all. The lead is not disolved in the oil and just floats around in chunks until it plugs something up.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

found it

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks everyone again.  I did find some...expensive at $13.50 per quart.  Bought 12 so should last awhile  :shock:
You CAN use full synthetic with 100LL but you need to do oil changes at 25 hours instead of 50 according to the manual.  I will try and not use any 100LL but there are times you have to fill up at airports.  
I read on the internet that the Mobile 1 V-Twin oil is questionable due to additives for the gears.  I just did a search and found one article that had those concerns.
Billy, I would love to fly up your way.  Maybe real soon.  Or better yet you fly here in YOUR new bird.  :P
Dennis
Tazz

Rotax recommended

Post by Tazz »

If I were to make a suggestion on oils, use what Rotax recommends. Service instruction SI-912-016 and SI-914-019 (same instructions, available on-line on the Rotax website) is very comprehensive and informative. From attending the Rotax service school I was quite impressed with the research Rotax has done on putting together a list of recommended oils. I also learned Rotax is working with Shell to hopefully develope a new blend of oil that will work with 100LL allowing longer run times between oil changes. If this comes to be, they said it would apprear in a service instruction release, so check for new SI releases.
n570k

Post by n570k »

Go to WalMart for your Mobil One MX4T about $8 a qt. While you're at it pick up a ST3614 oil filter for less than $3.
Dale
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

If you can not find the Mobil 1, racing 4T locally, I found this site, price is a little under $10 per quart, shipping included.

http://www.eliteetc.com/mo1mx10shin.html

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

25 hours

Post by scubarider2 »

Well I have finally put 25 hours on the plane and will be doing an oil change with Mobil 1.  My plan is to do oil changes every 50 hrs when using auto fuel, if I have to use 100LL then will change at 25 hrs.  I have the long list of duties for the 25 hr both on the plane and engine.  Will be my first time..  :shock:   Can't wait to work on it again.  8)
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Tazz

Shell oil

Post by Tazz »

The much awaited new engine oil is approved. Rotax just released a new version of SI-912-016/SI-914-019. This is the instruction covering operating fluids. It covers the new Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 oil which was formulated for use with mogas or avgas.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

the Oil Store, http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/aesppl412li.html, sells it by the case, (12 one liter bottles) for $55. The shipping on two cases if $43 to my place :(

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”