Big Runways in South Dakota

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gerald V9

Big Runways in South Dakota

Post by Gerald V9 »

There may not be too many airports in South Dakota but we have plenty of runway.  Many thanks to Dave U for the help and advice over the past year.  The bird tipped the scale with oil,coolant, and residual fuel at 682 lbs.  Takeoffs and landings are really a short lived event, especially if there is any wind, which we do have plenty of.  To initiate conversation beyond the building, what power settings/airspeeds are people targeting on downwind-base-final?  I realize this is engine-prop dependant, but the majority of Highlanders are using 912s (100 hp).  
                                                       Keep on Building,   Gerald V9

P.S. For those installing 912s and routing throttle cables through the firewall.  Either have obvious slack between th firewall and engine or allow the throttle cable to slip through a fitting/grommet in the firewall.  When synchronizing the carbs, any adverse tension/compression on the cables in combination with a moving/torqueing engine will produce errant vacuum readings that could possibly take hours of frustration to figure out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Very motivational

Post by KevinC »

Gerald,

Beautiful bird!

Did you use a lexan turtle deck?  If so, how do you like it and was it difficult to make?

Are the big tires worth it?

Hope to check out your runways sometime.

K
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

That is really one great looking plane. Its simple graphics really make it stand out as one classy machine.

Looks like you did a great job
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Re: Big Runways in South Dakota

Post by rgmullins »

You did a terrific job of keeping it light. I'm doing my best but I bet mine will end up over 700
Gerald V9 wrote: P.S. For those installing 912s and routing throttle cables through the firewall.  Either have obvious slack between th firewall and engine or allow the throttle cable to slip through a fitting/grommet in the firewall.  When synchronizing the carbs, any adverse tension/compression on the cables in combination with a moving/torqueing engine will produce errant vacuum readings that could possibly take hours of frustration to figure out.
It sounds like you spent hours of fustration to come up with that tidbit. :)
Thanks for the tip
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati

Return to “Just Aircraft”