Rotax Oil Filter Frustration

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Rotax Oil Filter Frustration

Post by scubarider2 »

Just wanted to show you what I did this evening that should have taken an hour and ended up 3 hours.  When I got the rotax 912uls I tried to take the oil filter off.  Had to cut holes in it to remove it.  So after 25 hours with the new filter put on as per directions {hand tighten then go 3/4 more and stop after oiling the gasket} this one stuck even more.  Could not get it off.  Tore it apart totally down to the metal.  Had to find a friend with a tool that two prongs would fit in the holes you see.  Then with both of us....turned it some....then had to keep drilling to get it further.... :evil:   Finally, got what you see here.  Put the new one on hand tight only after adding some slick tire grease on the gasket this time.  If I have to do it again I am calling someone at Rotax... :evil:
Anyone else have this problem???
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Gerald V9

Post by Gerald V9 »

Nice oil filter! Did you note any metal filings in the paper element?   I had a difficult time removing the initial oil filter from the factory.  Hopefully the 25 hour change goes a little more smoothly than yours.       Good Luck,   Gerald V9
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Did not find any metal particles other than the metal I DISTROYED  :twisted:
8)
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I have yet to fire up my engine but I noticed my filter looked to be on very tight as he spacing between it and the case were near touching.  I tried to hand remove it, no budge.  I put an oil wrench on it and with all my might, it isn't budging.  I'm noticing the filter is starting to buckle.  I havn't gotten into it with the serious tools but I'm thinking that either at the factory where their built it or someplace they run them up one time is where their over tightening them and then essentially baking them on.  I hate to destroy a brand new filter but I gotta get this leach off the case.  I'll let you know.

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Good Luck Paul....get your tools ready!  Let me know.
Dennis
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Well I got the filter off after wrestling it for 10 minutes or so.  I was worried I was going to twist off the whole oil pump assembly.  Man was that thing on tight.  When it finally budged it wasn't much more than a turn until loose enough to spin off.  I put a new one on and made sure to do the 3/4 turn only after establishing contact.  Placed white tape on to mark for next time.  Really crunched the other filter getting it off but I didn't want to run the engine and really bake it on extremely tight from the start.  Wish they put those wrench ends on them to make removal easier.

Return to “Just Aircraft”