seaplane drain grommets

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

seaplane drain grommets

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Are the seaplane builders putting drain grommets in each rib section of the ailerons & flaps or just in the main rib sections of the wings? Thanks in advance... DJK
KevinC
Veteran Member

seaplane grommets

Post by KevinC »

I put one at each rib on wings, flaps ailerons - same place you'd burn a drain hole.  I put just two on the elevators and horizontals as water should easily drain to 'low points' there.  

fwiw

k
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Are these drain grommets required because of the wood ribs? I looked at the Super Cub seaplane at Kenmore and could see no drains anywhere.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Manual only calls for drains in the wings.  My first experience flying in the rain and leaving the plane outside for a few days in the rain left the ailerons and flaps with water in them.  After tipping them over and over and flying sideways for awhile  :wink:  got it out.  I will be putting in drain holes soon.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

scubarider2 wrote:Manual only calls for drains in the wings.  My first experience flying in the rain and leaving the plane outside for a few days in the rain left the ailerons and flaps with water in them.  After tipping them over and over and flying sideways for awhile  :wink:  got it out.  I will be putting in drain holes soon.
Dennis
I'm wondering why not leave a half inch on the low side of each set of hinge plates through the trailing edge for a drain for each wing rib bay and then no other drain holes in the fabric? Will definately put them in control surfaces too. Thanks!

Return to “Just Aircraft”