Why Did You Chose The Highlander/Escapade?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Could some of you that have been flying your Highlanders please comment on it's flight characteristics and capabilities? I'm very interested to find out whether or not you would consider it strong and durable enough for rough backcountry flying. More specifically, do you think it would be capable of flying into the same high altitude mountain strips in Idaho as the larger and more powerful SuperCubs and Husky's etc? I would hate to spend the time and money to build one and then realize it was not enough plane. My hunch is that it will be very capable, but it would be great to hear from some of you that have flown both types of planes in such conditions and could compare them. Thanks much!

Pete
Lynng
Veteran Member

Flying

Post by Lynng »

Pete,

The undercamber wing designed by Just is a unique being.  On one hand you will have excellent lift in slow flight and on the other you have good wing loading for turbulent air and stable cruise.  It has been a suprise to fly on very roudy windy days and I have become more comfortable each time I get it in a little more sind.  I have landed in 20 gusting to 35 and needed ground help to get out of the airplane and felt safe flying just taxing became a real issue.  Roll rate and pitch rate are very well matched and once you have a few hours getting used to the lighter control feel then the SuperCub or Husky you will be very happy with tight places.  I would not want to take those 2 heavier airframes into the places I will take my Highlander.  I would also like to say the interior cargo room is far superior to the other bush planes mentioned.  If you want to see some cool bush flying go to www.youtube.com/taildrgfun and check out Steep Hilltop.  

I know I built my airplane under Troy's supervision but it was more like them pointing and laughing then help.
:roll:
Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Lynn, thank you very much for relaying those thoughts and observations to the group. The plane sounds fantastic in so many respects! I must say that you are a great ambassador for the Highlander and I have enjoyed reading about your building and flying adventures very much in the research that I have done. You are an inspiration to many I am sure... myself included... and your plane looks great!!!

Pete
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Pete,

I only met Lynn once but I can tell you she is a fantastic person to be around.  Very open about the build, more than willing to help anyone out, etc.  She didn't even know me yet she let me climb all over her plant taking pictures last year.  I have since contacted her a few times and she got back to me right away with the information I was looking for.  

She is exactly what this sport is all about (in my opinion), awesome people sharing in the adventures of aviation!

If I lived anywhere near the State of Florida I would buy a Highlander through her as a dealer just to have her as a resource.  

Paul, PA
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

There are two other aircraft of the same great design which are older more established companys. They are the Sky Raider and the Ridge Runner. These also produce single place and UL versions which use the same strong wing. They both share the same undercamber airfoil, plywood rib, folding wing design and fusalage. They have diffferent options also. If you compare photos and specs. it is easy to see. They also have the same STOL performance. They all come to Sun Fun in Fl. I would look very closely, do research and ask a lot of questions concerning all the companys before I put down any cash.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

There's nothing at all as first time builders that we've found difficult with the Highlander, largely because of this forum, which has been just great and keeps getting better.

Of course all the considerable non-standard stuff we've done to get about 160 HP up front, the remote cooling bank, and the combo bush/amphib gear has taken substantial extra time and effort because its all had to be custom designed and built.
Sir Real
Seasoned Member

Post by Sir Real »

Another new kid on the block here. Stede, you have already answered one of my questions: Will the Highlander fit me? I'm built along the same lines although proportionately different at 6'4" & 280, & my wife, who will be flying with me, is not obese at all, but "plump" might be a good description (geez, I hope she doesn't read this :oops: ). I haven't had a chance to actually sit in one yet, of course, so all my knowledge comes from online, & the great article on Lynn in Sport Aviation a few months ago.

My other initial qeury is for Wes. Wes, you say that it is not a good kit for a first-time builder, and from reading some of these posts I can see your point, but I may be sort of stuck. I'm looking for an LSA kit, and the vast majority of them won't carry both myself & most any passenger I may want to fly with. I like the Highlander's payload & cabin size, & the folding wings are a bonus. I have my PPSEL & the mechanical knowledge to work on my lawnmower & basic car repair (no more than that), but my construction experience is limited to the VANs toolbox kit, some bins in the garage & IKEA furniture. On the other hand, I am a member of a fairly active & very helpful EAA chapter, so I have access to people lots smarter than me. I also plan to take several workshops to bring my skills up.

Given my level of knowledge, and my desire for an LSA kit that fits my bulk, would there be any other kits out there I should look at? The others I've seen, including the new VANs LSA, are just too small.

Any help?
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

As for cabin size it really is not too bad. With two "larger" people think along the lines of cessna 152 for elbow and shoulder room. The two seats are fairly small and separated by around 3" or so in the middle. It will be cozy.

Return to “Just Aircraft”