Painting process questions

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Painting process questions

Post by b1x4nqb »

Any issue with the compressor being in the room with the paint mist considering flamability?  I was cutting in the air vents to let in fresh air and came across my compressor and am wondering about possible sparks from it igniting the fumes.  Thought about sealing its area off with plastic.  The other option is to take the reel off the wall and haul the compressor outside for two weeks.

Also, what type of fan did you use to evacuate the fumes?  They say to use a sealed one but all the box fans I have are not sealed looking.  Everything at the hardware store for that sake isn't sealed looking either.  I don't want to drop big bucks for a special purpose fan if I don't have to.  All these things add up in the long run.  

For the metal & fiberglass parts, did you prime them with a different primer than the stuff for the fabric if you used the Superflite process?  

Finally, did you use a larger mm tip for your primer like a 1.8 as apposed to the final coats with a 1.4 for example?

Thanks,
Paul
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Paul,

I just used standard fans, and figured if it was time to blow up, it was my time.  I did not have any problems.

Gerald used a plastic "bubble" for a booth.  The taped the plastic around the box fans, and then put a couple flexible ducts out the window to vent the fumes.  He had positive pressure in the bubble.  Not much fumes ever contacted the fan motor.

With the Superflite paint, you need to use the 2 part epoxy primer for the metal and F/G parts.  It is a gray, 2 part primer.  It fills nicely, but be prepared to deal with a lot of pin holes in the fiberglass parts.  Talk to your local auto paint supplier for the best solution to pin holes.  

Dave

Return to “Just Aircraft”