Just a bunch of questions...

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Samsam

Just a bunch of questions...

Post by Samsam »

Hello,

I'm really interested in the Highlander, but I 'm trying to find out more info before I pull the trigger.
Any input from you is very welcome.

1. Build time is 600-700h, or about half  with the quick build kit. Has that been your experience?
2. Is the $15K for the quick built kit worth it?
3. Besides an instruction manual that leaves a lot to be desired and missing parts, have you had any other negative experiences?
4. Are the claimed performance with a 912s real?
5. Have you had any issues with the Rotax 912s?
6. Before buying the Highlander did you look at other planes (Kitfox, Eurofox, Skyranger, Rans,etc)?
7. What was the tipping point for your choice of the Highlander?
8. Do you feel that the control harmony is better that other LSA listed above?
9. Anybody equipped the plane for IFR?
10. Can you do light aerobatics?
11. Is $50-60K a reasonable budget to build the Highlander?
12. Do you feel the Highlander's structure is strong enough in case of a crash?

Sorry for all the questions, but I search the web quite a bit and couldn't find any real answers...
Best,
Frank
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok Frank....let me give you the short and sweet of it......   8)

1.  It took me 750 hours start to finish, a little more than a year.  I built two ultralights prior.
2.  I did the 750 WITH the quick build wings...and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.  Well worth the money.
3.  No other negative experiences other than what mentioned.
4.  Claimed performance with the 912s is true....It is what I own.  I wish I could get her a little faster but hey....just enjoy the time in the air... :lol:
5.  Once I got the right parts {firewall forward}, everything good.  Still working on the lord mounts though.
6.  Looked at everything....most impressed for the money...."Just Aircraft"
7.  Price, payload, and quality
8.  Flew several other LSA's.  The escapade handles beautifully.  No bad habits that I can find.
9.  Nope, just VFR
10.  I have not done any, but have been in the plane when Troy took her through the paces...
11.  All depends on engine, instruments, etc...You can really up the price or keep it clean.  Engine prices for the ROTAX right now are through the roof....so....
12.  No plane is strong enough in a crash  :shock:
Hope this helps some...  :D
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Samsam

Post by Samsam »

Thanks Dennis!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

12. the structure is classicly strong but loose the rubber fuel lines & find milspec lines/fittings
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reilly

Post by Charlie Reilly »

regarding crashabilitie of just aircraft see if you can look at a picture of Garys highlander after his crash that he survived.I find that pretty impressive
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hi guys just my two cents worth.  I have recently started  working part time at the just factory. Troy wanted (let) me come over and help with some of the rebuilds.  There have been two crashes in the last week. I wont tell names but one hit a rock on landing and fliped over. Pilot skint his shins, thats all. Plane needs a new leading edge tube on one wing and some wing ribs,anew head rack, also had to repair some ribs in the other wing.  The other crash was with a new pilot that bounced on landing, gave full throttle to go around and stalled in climb out, nosed over and hit tera firma. Practily totalling the plane, he broke his ankle.
I call this testimony to a well built plane.  Jak

Return to “Just Aircraft”