Rudder cable measurement

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Rudder cable measurement

Post by b1x4nqb »

Anyone have a measurement from the rear of your frame as to how far forward from that point your rudder cables protrude?  I have to cut them in tonight and thought I'd get a good guess where they should be priot to burning a hole and placing some plastic doo-hickeys that make the hole look better.  I also need to cut a hole from the Horizontal stab's as I failed to do this before priming.  I thought I would do like most and make the hole for the elevator tabs big enough to get the ends in then use some plexiglass to make a half moon shape, etc.  Anyone have any pics of theirs?

So far I have been priming for a week solid.  I never thought it would take this much work, wet sanding, etc.  For a novice I think it looks pretty good but I sure do see my flaws and have spent some time going back and glueing down some pinked edges, filling in here and there.  Now I respect the cost of paying someone to do it.  

I'm planning on taking this week off as well to try to get the colors on. Hope to finish next weekend with paint if all goes well.

Paul, PA
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Paul,
 I thought I had a pic of the pass-
through with the entire empenage,
to at least show it's relation to the
back of the frame, but I haven't
found it yet. What about using a
wooden dowel or something similar
to get a reference point on the inside.

Just making a stab at it. But I
don't have my frame here to
look at...

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

John,

Thats what I'm going to do.  I just got in from getting my first cross coat of white paint on.  I just need some rest before going back out in a few hours to punch them through.  I though if someone had some measurements it would help but not necessary.  

Thanks for looking anyway.

Paul, PA
Gary H
Veteran Member

cables

Post by Gary H »

Hope this will help
GW
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will fly for food!!
Wes
Premium Member

Cable Exit

Post by Wes »

I spent way too much time on the cable exit alignment on mine, but it worked out OK. The slot in the fabric which is not visible in the pic is in the 11 to 12 inch position on the scale. The measurement is from the rear most point of the rudder hinge. The fabric slot is also about 4 &5/8 inch up from the bottom of the frame tube.
Still fitting and tweeking the ailerons and flaps.

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Thanks guys,

This site is awsome for builders.  Thanks to the webmaster also!  I spent this morning wet sanding last evenings paint.  Unfortunetly my fresh air breather went south (blew the fuse and won't run without blowing more) so they are shipping me a new one overnight.  It is brand new from Turbine Products @ about $400.  I figure it will give me time to get these little things caught up.  Had a few bugs fly in under my plastic last evening and had to sand them out also.  Little devils!

Paul, PA
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Hey Gary, where'd you get the fairings for the rudder cable holes? They look great!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Gary and I got ours from Wicks Aircraft: http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/pr ... index.html

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

stede52 wrote:Gary and I got ours from Wicks Aircraft: http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/pr ... index.html

Steve
Cool, those are great. Thanks.

Return to “Just Aircraft”